1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading comprehension for guided reading.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Mar 2, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi guys,

Having had an iffy optional reading SATs, i've decided it's time to up my game for reading. My class currently read a book and do comp on that, however i'd like some stand alone texts with questions they can get on with on their own. Their levels range from 1b - 3a, so i'm just wondering if anyone knows of any books, or places I could download some.

Ideally they need to have the text and the questions on one or two sheets because I would like it to be 'cold' so that they get used to reading and inferring rather than reading, discussing and then inferring. Thanks.

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi guys,

Having had an iffy optional reading SATs, i've decided it's time to up my game for reading. My class currently read a book and do comp on that, however i'd like some stand alone texts with questions they can get on with on their own. Their levels range from 1b - 3a, so i'm just wondering if anyone knows of any books, or places I could download some.

Ideally they need to have the text and the questions on one or two sheets because I would like it to be 'cold' so that they get used to reading and inferring rather than reading, discussing and then inferring. Thanks.

3. Hiya,

Some of the things I've tried are the Andrew Brodie Improving Comprehension series - they are published for different ages and come in 3 levels for each text which is handy! Scholastic also do a nice comprehension book, forgotten what it's called but they come in Year 3, 4 etc. Not differentiated but cover a variety of text types whcih is handy. Rising Stars do an assessment pack for each half term (whole year in one book) that is good as it plots specific questions against each AF so you can track where you children are weaker. Hope that's a start for you!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reading-Comprehension-Key-Stage-1/dp/0721707343/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Which are nicely levelled. Ignore the folder cover it looks nothing like that when you actually buy it.

There is also a bridging pack that would be good for your level 3 children.