1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Complex Words (Y7)

Discussion in 'English' started by mashabell, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Who is really doing the stalking here?

Much as the likes of u and Gruoch may dislike it, many people find my word lists very useful.

2. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

Urm, ignoring the in-fighting....have you tried the Literacy Progress Units? If you aren't familiar, it's well worth spending time reading them (type LPUs, or the above into google). They are massively wordy as they are designed for non-teachers and the resources take ages to cut out, but I've used them over and over again- even for top sets (and A-level for one group). Sounds like you need the 'Spelling' one.
    G'luck.

3. You are very fond of the term:'the likes of' aren't you Masha?
    Penny and Grouch both post useful things. You are useless. I have yet to speak to any English teacher who finds any of your pathetic cutting and pasting from your equally pathetic blog and website. I agree with Grouch: Go away Marsha.
    OP: Sorry to do this on your thread, but it is about time we got rid of masha. The English forum is for English teachers and she has absolutely nothing to offer. Her insistence that English (sorry, Inglish, as Marsh would have it) is a stupid, terrible language is enough to convince me that she has no place on this forum.

4. I think English is a brilliant language - one of the world's best, perhaps even the best, but it has thousands of words with badly used or superfluous letters in them (e.g. said, head, friend, have, English, soup, pretty, once... - cf. bed, hen, end, hat, in, stoop, bitty, wonder...).
    These make literacy acquisition in English much harder and slower than in all other alphabetic languages. That's a fact.
    Teachers who understand exactly what makes learning to read and write English difficult are much better at helping children who find the acquisition of those skills exceptionally difficult.
    People who prefer not to understand this, who hate me for making a detailed analysis of English spelling and showing what's wrong with it, are imo simply like religious believers who tenaciously deny or ignore some of the awful things which their faith inspires.
    As an alphabetic writing system, English spelling is extremely bad. It is full of uncorrected printing errors which have become enshrined in dictionaries and silly whims and other alphabetic abuses.
    If u want to see how haphazardly English spelling evolved, with examples of spellings from different centuries, have a look at David Crystal's latest book Evolving English.