1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Competition Ideas

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emma_lou, Feb 11, 2012.

1. I'm a fourth year teaching student about to start my final placement and I would like to start a reading competition for my year 2 class. If it works it is something I will consider using again in the future with my own class but I would really like to see if it does have an impact on the children's enthusiasm for reading. I've always loved reading but reading reviews put me off when I was in Primary , has anyone got any alternatives to these to check that books have actually been read? Also please let me know any successful competitions you've put into place within your school or competitions you've seen/heard of and thought were good.
    Many thanks in advance!

2. I'm a fourth year teaching student about to start my final placement and I would like to start a reading competition for my year 2 class. If it works it is something I will consider using again in the future with my own class but I would really like to see if it does have an impact on the children's enthusiasm for reading. I've always loved reading but reading reviews put me off when I was in Primary , has anyone got any alternatives to these to check that books have actually been read? Also please let me know any successful competitions you've put into place within your school or competitions you've seen/heard of and thought were good.
    Many thanks in advance!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

We had a photograph competition for the most unusual or interesting place to be photographed reading a book. Great if it includes a holiday period - we had some fantastic photos from all over the world!
    Of course, this doesn't check that they actually have read the book [​IMG]

4. I like that idea, thanks :) Might run that alongside one which checks they are reading as it could be very interesting!