1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading 'Breakfast'

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clare26281, Sep 9, 2018.

1. clare26281

clare26281 New commenter

Hello all,
    In order to encourage our parents to feel more confident in reading at home with their children, we are hoping to hold a reading breakfast. Has anyone else held an event like this? Any top tips?
    Did you ask for numbers or just let people 'drop-in'? Did the children attend with their parents?
    We are struggling to work out the logistics and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Clare (Year 1 teacher)

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Why don't you do it during school hours? Parents, in my experience won't get up and be in early. You could do an event where parents come in a read with their children, or use your library, or watch a taught session, or get to experience a taught session.
    Would definitely do this in school hours, or at worst after school.

3. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I think it has to be carefully managed. One school I worked at tried this but the parents just scoffed the food and chatted to each other.

lardylegs, hammie and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

It's odd how schools say how important something is but refuse to carry it out during the school working day.

lardylegs likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We did a 'story evening' and children came back to school with their parents about 5.30pm.
    It was dark outside and the children came in pyjamas ans brought teddies and their pillow.

We supervised children reading to themselves in the hall and gave lots of ideas to parents of what to do when reading at home. Separate sessions for 'reading to your child' (mostly EYFS parents), 'hearing your child read' (mostly KS1 parents) and 'reading with your child' (mostly KS2 parents).

Then back to the hall to see us read aloud to a small group and then read a story to their child snuggled under fairy lights and on heaps of cushions/pillows, while everyone drank hot chocolate.

Was fun and lasted just over an hour.
    Works best in winter so children have the excitement of going to school in the dark.

MelHug94, lardylegs and fly like this.
  6. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I think you'd possibly have more of an uptake if you did it immediately AFTER school drop off. You've got them there, and I know we've found with things like PTA coffee mornings that events that capitalise on when the parents are already AT school rather than trying coffee afternoons where you need to get them back out specifically for an event have a massively higher uptake.

Although I know with the parents my kids are at school at - we'd have a fairly high contingent of parents scoffing food, chatting to each other and ignoring kids... plus the performance parent in the corner reading the complete works of Shakespeare while trying to instagram selfies every 5 minutes and making sure Everyone Knows They Are There. The ones you really want to engage won't come and the ones who'll feel obligated to come are the ones who read to/with/hear their kids every day dilligently!

MelHug94, fly and Alice K like this.