1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading booster Upper KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lovelylady, Jan 30, 2011.

1. lovelylady

lovelylady New commenter

Ok, so weve been using APP as opposed to optional sats however, its backfiring with Y5 as the current crop of results shows most children stuck on 3A/4C.

What can I do within the week to build in more practice? We already do a guided reading session each day for 15mins. How else can I improve these readers? I have a similar problem in maths, not done writing sat yet, but chances are will be the same. Is it time for us to teach to test?

2. lovelylady

lovelylady New commenter

Ok, so weve been using APP as opposed to optional sats however, its backfiring with Y5 as the current crop of results shows most children stuck on 3A/4C.

What can I do within the week to build in more practice? We already do a guided reading session each day for 15mins. How else can I improve these readers? I have a similar problem in maths, not done writing sat yet, but chances are will be the same. Is it time for us to teach to test?

3. Go through all the papers and analyse the questions where children have lost marks really carefully.
    From this decide:
    - what to teach whole class (where vast majroty lost marks)
    - what to teach in groups with TA or teacher (where 6-10 children lost marks)
    - what a TA could work with pairs or individuals on

Tailor your homework for the week to the curricular gaps.
    Look for the usual general errors/issues-
    Generally:
    - check they are finishing the paper and if not that they are not spending a long time on L5 questions at the expense of easier marks
    In reading:
    - not writing enough information for 2 and 3 mark questions of simply repeating the same point
    - not reading the questions properly
    - dong too much or too little (e.g. writing 4 vebs when it says 3- this infuriates me!)
    - check they are skimming and scanning properly and able to identify key words in the question at L2 and 3

Good L3 children of miss L4 because:
    - they can't use more complex inference (I can send you some resources/ideas for tackling this if you message me)
    - they do not refer to evidence from the text (get them to underline it in texts and ALWAYS include it in 2 or 3 mark answers about 'why')
    - they do not summarise well (often drop marks on the choose a heading questions- give lots of different cut up paragraphs and get them to think of possible subheadings)

Another good idea generally is to look at a short text together, give a question but them give several possible answers- ask them to dicsuss which one is the best answer and why.
    In maths:
    - ensure they are estimating
    - check simple carrying tens errors
    - again check they have read the question properly (do some need readers?)
    - sometimes just missing out the unit of measure can cost marks

At L3 children often miss out on L4 because:
    - they have place value issues with tenths and beyond 100
    - they don't make simple connections (e.g. x5 is the same as x10 and halve it)
    - they don't use the inverse to check (esp. with division)
    - they often lose track after 2 steps to a problem (drawing it out can help) or amking up their own problems to 3 step calculations, e.g. 3x4+6, simply matching word problems to the calcuation
    I'm sure you are doing a lot of this anyway, but there might be a few new things you can try.
    When you get your writing in:
    Record on a spread sheet with class names on the top and curricular element at the side. Put a mark where they haven't met the crtieria, e.g. wide range of connectives used; varying sentence structure etc.
    Again, organise the class based on curricular gaps and teach and model the targets you set for them from the writing.

4. lovelylady

lovelylady New commenter

Fabulous information, thank you so much!