1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading books (how to manage during Covid-19)

Discussion in 'English' started by kimcooper13, Jul 10, 2020.

1. kimcooper13

kimcooper13 New commenter

Hello all,

I'm looking for a little help. I've been asked to think about how we will manage home readers in September. Obviously with the pandeminc still in full swing it's going to take some work to organise a safe and inspiring home reader system. I would like children to be able to take books home and continue to develop their passion for reading but I also want to reduce the risk of transferring Covid-19.
    These are my thoughts so far but I would appreciate any feedback/ideas/advice! Thank you in advance.

Books will need to be quarantined upon return to school (24 hours if cardboard cover and 72 hours if plastic cover.)
    Baskets in the cupboard to quarantine. Thorough hand washing when handling books. Limited number of children in the book area (TA to organise opportunities for children to change their books during the school day?)

Ways to display books to minimise touching - Small selection displayed with the blurb facing out?
    Put into plastic wallets so children can see front and back without touching the actual book?

Promote use of E-books and audiobooks (Audible, oxford owl free books etc.) Limited availability of electronic devices in school.

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Is there evidence the virus spreads this way? Perhaps ask what local libraries are doing?

3. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Local libraries where I am (not UK) are definitely doing the book quarantine stuff. 72h quarantine before being made available again.

They've also increased and are promoting their e-book loan service - I know that's not much help at school if your kids don't have devices.

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Perhaps create a lending/swapping service from colleagues/families of the school students ? Anti Bac the lot - plastic covers can be easily wiped.

This is very good.

https://openlibrary.org/

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Consider audiobooks too. Zero contact.