1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reading books for KS3&4

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Teafrog79, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

I have been given £250 to spend on French reading books. Does any of you know of some suitable material for that age range without complex language?
    A few more questions
    1/ Should I get classic books that are translated into French but that pupils will be familiar with? (Mr-Madame, Eric Carle's books)
    2/ Are comics a good idea? If yes which ones?
    3/ Would you recommend French classics such as
    Babar
    Martine
    Caroline
    Le Petit Nicolas
    Le Père Castor series
    Les contes de Charles Perrault?
    I can't find anything that would be suitable for 11+ without too much complex language.
    Any advice and suggestions welcome before I start spending. Merci!
    p.s. If you have any recommendations for Spanish, I am sure my colleague would welcome them.

2. I am in no way connected with them, but I have found the on-line catalogue of the European Bookshop very useful. They carry the CLE International series, for example: French classics adapted with simplified language, at various graded levels. I would personally go for something French to give both culture and language and through the medium of a new story- not something English in translation, where something is inevitably lost.

3. My students love comics, especially Asterix and Tintin (and they are sometimes familiar with the story if they've read them in English...)
    I managed to pick up lots second hand in France as they can be quite expensive new.
    Have fun!

4. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

Many thanks to both of you.
    Website is very useful.