1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading book suggestions for disengaged G&T Year 7 boys?

Discussion in 'English' started by jennywren1000, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Does anyone know of any good novels for reading with Year 7 & 8 boys who are disengaged with school and are also on the G&T register?
    We're hoping to set up an after-school club where one book a term is read with them, but I'm struggling for ideas; please suggest away if you know of anything that might be suitable!
    Thanks! :)

2. Clarerees

Clarerees New commenter

Patrick Ness' trilogy has gone down well.
    For more advanced kids (and you'd definitely need to read these first), how about the Mistborn Trilogy or Paul Hoffman's 'The Left hand of god'
    Something with zombies (I'll think about that)

3. One I've never tried on a class, but I think would appeal to that audience, is When We Were Romans by Matthew Kneale. If they're quite negative about reading you could try something short and punchy like Death and the Penguin. They wouldn't necessarily 'get' the whole thing, but the mafia stuff might appeal? Or if they're a bit more sensitive, something like All Quiet on the Western Front? Hope this helps.

4. allotmentlady

allotmentlady New commenter

The hunger Games or take a look at the Carnegie award winner Patrick Ness triology. The other Carnegie authors look good- Out of Shadows by Jason Wallace and Prisoner of the inquisition.

5. Thanks for the suggestions - they all sound fab! Will start looking into the options!
    [​IMG]