1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reading book colours? I need some help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sooo, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Hello, I need some help
    as a newly appointed English co-ordinator, I have the fantastic task of grading the new reading books as they come into school. Unfortunately, no body knows how to do it, we have the Cliff Moon colour scheme, but how do you know what colour you put the book in if it isn't from a recognised reading scheme?
    Is there something like counting 100 words and the length of them (heard something like this a bit ago)
    Can anyone shed some light on my little problem?

Thanks a million

2. Hello, I need some help
    as a newly appointed English co-ordinator, I have the fantastic task of grading the new reading books as they come into school. Unfortunately, no body knows how to do it, we have the Cliff Moon colour scheme, but how do you know what colour you put the book in if it isn't from a recognised reading scheme?
    Is there something like counting 100 words and the length of them (heard something like this a bit ago)
    Can anyone shed some light on my little problem?

Thanks a million

3. Hi, we are only now book banding our reading scheme. Have come across your info and wondered if you still have a list of books you have banded? Our most recent books are ORT but also have some very old ginn 360 and New Way. Would be v grateful for any help. Thanks.

4. Hello Langley,
    It seems we are all re-filing and ordering our reading schemes. I am also at a loss as to how ORT level books. We have very able readers and I need a scheme to go up to RA 13+ although we have real reader it is difficult to organise them into RAges. Is there any criteria scales to work from?
    An other holiday worker.... Angela

5. karentee

karentee New commenter

I had the task of banding our KS1 readers before the summer holidays and it was boring but didn't take as long as I expected, had parent helpers and some older children to help with teh stickers once the books ahd been grouped. many new books are already banded according to book bands eg new ORT and Rigby star, others we managed to find out from publishers, older books we decided to bin!! The advice on here helped with where to actulaly get the stickers from, got them from librex in a couple of days. Found it really useful to band them as I have now found some significant gaps eg in non-fiction We bought the benchmarking kit from PM and have found it really sueful to use, but very time consuming, but i guess once we're up and running it will be easier to administer, only trouble is the books they use for it are not the most exciting or inspiring! Just hope that all the hard work pays off once the children start using the banded books!

6. Hi Acornworld I would very much appreciate a copy of your book banding chart.

We have found that ORT needs to be read in satge order not bookband colours although we use book bands to navigate the stages!

7. oops, an email address might be useful
    subsub@gmail.com

8. Hi I am new to Tes... I

9. Hi, Could you send me your list of book bands from various publishers... I am trying to add more to the ones I currently have. Thanking you in anticipation.
    gill clarkson
    gillclarkson@talktalk.net

10. What a great idea!
    Would you be able to forward a copy of your cross check list to me also, at:
    dotcupit@aol.com
    Many thanks!!

11. I have just volunteered to re band all the reading books at school and would be very grateful if you could send me any lists that you have got. Any help would be appreciated
    ali_andyuk@yahoo.co.uk
    thanks Alison