1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading book bands - help required : )

Discussion in 'Primary' started by looloo38, Mar 8, 2011.

1. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Hi all

My school is in the process of sorting out our colour book bands. We follow the banding below but we also have colours that exist after this from a long time ago. These are brown, grey, black, magenta and cream. I wonder if anyone has any idea of what order they come in and what level they match? This would be a great help thank you.

Colour NC Level
    Pink W
    Red W
    Yellow 1 (C)
    Blue 1 (C/B)
    Green 1 (B)
    Orange 1 (B/A)
    Turquoise 1 (A)
    Purple 2C
    Gold 2B
    White 2A
    Lime 3

2. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Hi all

My school is in the process of sorting out our colour book bands. We follow the banding below but we also have colours that exist after this from a long time ago. These are brown, grey, black, magenta and cream. I wonder if anyone has any idea of what order they come in and what level they match? This would be a great help thank you.

Colour NC Level
    Pink W
    Red W
    Yellow 1 (C)
    Blue 1 (C/B)
    Green 1 (B)
    Orange 1 (B/A)
    Turquoise 1 (A)
    Purple 2C
    Gold 2B
    White 2A
    Lime 3

3. It is supposed to be:

Pink P7
    Red P8
    Yellow 1c
    Blue 1b
    Green 1b
    Orange 1a
    Turquoise 1a
    Purple 2c
    Gold 2b
    White 2a
    Emerald 3c
    Ruby 3c/3b
    Sapphire 4

However, it is all arbitrary and can only be a VERY rough guide.

Book Bands is not a good way of differentiating books for beginning readers. These children need to practise on a range of reading materials that are cumulatively decodable at their level. You will find that early Book Bands take little account if any of a child's alphabetic code knowledge, grading books on aspects such as how easy it is for a child to guess the words from the pictures, sentence structures, repetition, whole word memorisation and other unhelpful and potentially damaging strategies. My school uses book bands but I select books for children not on their band but on the level of code knowledge required to decode them. If you don't do this you will be giving your children two very different messages - use systematic phonics in phonics lessons, but when reading use a range of guessing strategies.

4. Further to my post above, the DfE has recently published guidance on beginning reading that addresses this:

"...ensure that as pupils move through the early stages of acquiring phonics, they are invited to practise by reading texts which are entirely decodable for them, so that they experience success and learn to rely on phonemic strategies....

It is important that texts are of the appropriate level for children to apply and practise the phonic knowledge and skills that they have learnt. Children should not be expected to use strategies such as whole-word recognition and/or cues from context, grammar, or pictures."

5. Where can that be sourced please?

6. Department for Education, November 2010:

http://dfe.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/pedagogy/teachingstyles/phonics/a0010240/criteria-for-assuring-high-quality-phonic-work

7. looloo38

looloo38 New commenter

Thank you very much. Yes i will take a look at that too.