1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Assessment ‘Vocab’

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by mrsclw1, Sep 20, 2018.

1. mrsclw1

mrsclw1 New commenter

Hello’s,
    Wondering if people can help?
    During my voluntary time at the school I work at, I listen to readers and assess their abilities.
    Now, this may seem silly, but I’d just like to make sure I’m using the correct vocab, or keywords, when making the assessment. So, I’ll note things like if they have good comprehension as I ask questions, how their pace is set, if they’re stilted, how they s/o &/ or blend..
    What other things/keyword should I be assessing/ writing down please?
    (Hope this makes sense?!)

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

You sound to be doing pretty well to me! Depending very much on the age and level of the children you are hearing read, you might also want to comment on whether they take note of punctuation. This is very much linked to 'reading for sense' - do they pause and take a breath at a full stop? Do they stop and re-read if it doesn't make sense to them? Also, do they read with expression?

3. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 New commenter

Sounds good to me too! I imagine your notes would be really welcomed by the teacher.
    Noting if they self-correct is a key way to see if they're making sense of their reading.
    In terms of comprehension, questions can vary from retrieving a clearly stated piece of information in a discrete/contained bit of the text right through to understanding the theme of a text or the nature of a character. All depends on age and capability of the reader (and the level of challenge offered by the text). It's useful to vary the type of question as you're judging their competence.

mrsclw1 likes this.
  4. mrsclw1

mrsclw1 New commenter

Thank you so much! Feel like at times I’m repeating myself when recording my findings and didn’t know if I had the full grasp of the variations of assessments I was making. I can also, as a result of my findings, suggest which children may be capable of the next level books for the actual class TA to listen to next time.

Thank you for the additional information to be aware of and assessing for. Your help, as always, is very much appreciated!