1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Assessment in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kermit222, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Hello,

I'm looking for a little advice about assessing reading fsp 6, "reads a range of familiar words and simple sentences independently."

Does any one have more guidance about what constitutes a "simple sentence"? The small amount of information I have found online suggests that (as well as the familiar/high frequency words) children should be reading the very top end of phase 3 (air, ear, ure) and phase 4. This seems to me to be a high level of reading to achieve a fsp 6, and I would have thought that middle phase 3 (ai, ar, or, ow, etc) would be a closer fit.

I would be very grateful for any advice or links to further information.

Thanks for your help.

2. well FSP 6 is about where your national average child should be at the end of Reception. The group heading for 2b+ in Ks1. I expect it therefore should be where national expectation for the end of reception in phonics is? We expect phase 4.

3. Hi, thanks for the reply. You would imagine the handbooks guidance would be more specific, it only refers to sounding out "vans", and recognising "some" words in What's the time Mr Wolf. All a little vague. Thanks for the advice, I would be interested to hear if other schools are using the same guidelines?

4. The children in our setting that have got FSP6 are generally working within phase 3, can decode and understand simple sentences consisting of mainy one syllabe words, including tricky words - the I was me my be etc. Our advisor tells us this is correct (but that doesnt mean it's consistent everywhere does it?)
    Not all our children are secure in P3 - particularly when it comes to air/ear/ure - any tips appreciated as the kids muddle these
    xx

5. Hi,

Thank you for the reply. That is about the same level that my fsp6's are working at, so it's helpful to know that your advisor has suggested this is ok. I suspect this assessment differs across different schools. Hopefully the revised eyfs will solve this problem. My children are also finding air/ear/ure a little tricky to remember at the moment so I can't help with that one I'm afraid

Thanks again
    xx

6. I wonder if it is worth thinking HOW important it is that the children know air/ear/ and particularly ure!! Most ey people I have spoken to agree that ure is almost a waste of time - think of words with that combination that ACTUALLY make sense to a 4 or 5 year old??? If they are doing well with most other phonics stress less is my opinion & be proud.

7. I'd agree about 'ure' - cure, manure - very common words in a young child's vocabulary! And 'sure' which appears in some phonics books isn't even pronounced like that where I come from (I say shoor), so is highly confusing!
    I think the three letter ones are harder to learn. At least /ear/ starts with the /ea/ sound which makes it a bit less tricky than /air/ - unless they've come across bear (quite likely really) which muddies things rather. And we had a poster that illustrated the /ear/ sound with a picture of a pear - that really didn't help at all!
    I get the impression that it is easier for most children pick up some of the commoner phase 5 variations before they really get ear/air/ure - apart from anything else, digraph vowel variations appear in many children's names, but ear/air/ure are, I think, much rarer. I certainly wouldn't stop children moving onto phase 4/5 if they hadn't got ear/air/ure.

8. I agree that ear/air/ure are tricky and it won't stop ours moving onto P4 at all. We are so chuffed with how thhey are doing, our other group, moving at a slower pace, are working mid P3 now. Considering they all come in with low evels of language and low scores across the board we are happy they feel secure and enjoy school. Reading/phonics will come only when they are ready

9. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

If they can read a sentence in a home reader without support than that is a simple sentence as far as I am concerned. Slap my wrist if you like, but I don't look for CI either. If they can read a book they can read a book. Oh - and I don't teach ear, air and ure either !!!