1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reading area...help...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by natashii, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hi all

Just wondering what u have in ur reading area? I am want to 'rennovate' mine.. but not sure what to do...its one area that my children dont really go to...any fun and intersting ideas? I currently have - a range of books - fiction, non fiction, picture, atlases, poetry, big books, small books, a different story sack each week...the area its self has blankets and cushions and soft toys and a big net 'reading tent' that hangs from the ceiling...
    any inspirational ideas??

2. Hi all

Just wondering what u have in ur reading area? I am want to 'rennovate' mine.. but not sure what to do...its one area that my children dont really go to...any fun and intersting ideas? I currently have - a range of books - fiction, non fiction, picture, atlases, poetry, big books, small books, a different story sack each week...the area its self has blankets and cushions and soft toys and a big net 'reading tent' that hangs from the ceiling...
    any inspirational ideas??

3. An adult ready to share a book is the biggest draw in my book area (YN) but the children also like books that come with cds of stories or songs. Other than that they are more likely to pick up a book that's been casually propped in another area (books about diggers with construction etc) only they will INSIST on putting them back in the library corner at tidy up time!

4. I saw a lovely reading area once on supply. The class topic was 'Pirates' and the reading area was themed throughout to reflect this, so as well as a good selection of books there were a few pirate books on display, a pirate 'chest' full of dressing up clothes, a pirate display of children's work on the wall, and even the chairs had been given a face-lift with red and white striped fabric over them! (In fact, the whole classroom was like this, with little touches in every area!)

It made me wish I had my own classroom!

5. I too like the idea of this BUT a dress up space in a reading area is not, in my opinion, actually encouraging READING per se. Did you see any children reading?
    I agree that an adult available to read a story encourages/models reading far more than an attractive space that is visually appealing.

6. The children did actually use the dress-up clothes to dress as characters in the stories etc and did sit and look at the books. To be fair though, I was only there for a day so I couldn't comment on whether the children always did this! They seemed quite well-versed in how they were expected to behave in the different areas of the classroom, though, generally speaking.
    Perhaps you could also put labels on the items in the trunk? (Belt, hat, sword...)
    From my experiences, children don't just read in a book area though. Without an adult present, I've seen children speaking and listening, sharing books, role playing (without other props), retelling stories, counting, you name it!
    I definitely agree with having an adult in there too - I've certainly been 'trapped' in the book corner all morning on occasions, reading books! [​IMG]

7. comics, where's wally books, finger puppets?
    everytime we read a book to the class I put that in the book corner too so that they can read it themselves at a later date

8. We make our own books. For example, for our latest book I gave each of the students (Reception - high percentage EAL) two pages. One page had the starter "___ saw the ____" and the second page had "___ likes the _____" They had to write their name in the first blanks and an animal name in the second blanks. These sentences were along the bottom edge of the landscape page to give the child plenty of place to draw a picture. I make a page to preface the students work like, "Today our class went to the zoo." and a page to finish the book, "We had a great time!" After the students are finished I laminate each page then bind them together. I see the children "reading" their books all the time. This idea can be used to reinforce any learning concepts of the time. When we did this zoo book they were learning how to spell their name correctly, and we were doing a unit on animals.
    Catherine