1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading and Spelling Tests

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by cornflake, Jun 13, 2020.

1. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Hi
    I am currently studying L5 dyslexia, and before I start teaching a pupil I am meant to assess using:

SWRT (GL Assessment)
    or Diagnostic Test of Word Reading Processes

And
    Helen Arkell Spelling Test

However I don't have access to any of these! Does anyone have second-hand copies they would be interested in selling for a reasonable price (bearing in mind I'm not currently working!). Thanks.

2. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

That's a really odd set of tests, also a very expensive way to acquire old standardised tests, although it might be because at level5 you are restricted from using other ones.

If you re able ,I would recommend the WIAT2 for Teachers over those, and they will catch reading/spelling and reading comprehension for you too.

3. cornflake

Thank you for replying.
    These are the tests specified - aside from the ones that are named for L7 qualified people... which is a bit odd!
    So I feel completely stuck!

4. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

You hve a few options I guess.

if you live in Somerset then PM me, i have a library of tests and can lend you some :)

If not, then you could contact your local PATOSS or Dyslexia Association, they sometimes have a facility for lending tests.

If you are planning to assess in schools later, then you could consider the YARC as an alternative. It is usable at level5, and I am a big fan of it as a reading assessment.

If you are in a school who are supporting yo uwith the qualification could they be persuaded to buy some?

5. cornflake

PM coming your way - thank you! And sorry for the delay in seeing this :)

Flanks likes this.
  6. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I agree Flanks about hiring tests and asking your local Patoss group or if you are a member of the Dyslexia Guild, they hire tests too to members.

I have never used the HAST but I think it’s pretty good value at £55 ish with the basic spelling test record sheet being included in the manual which can be photocopied.

Most spelling tests including WIAT 3 and WRAT 5 are not only expensive to buy but the test papers cost a fortune too - and as you said you aren’t being asked to use these - cost me about £700 to update to the latest WIAT and WRAT.

So if you can stretch to buy the HAST , I think it would be worth getting as second hand wouldn’t be much cheaper.

Not used the 2 reading assessments you mention though.