1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

reading and phonics activity morning for parents and their children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jwhite1985, Jan 16, 2011.

1. I forgot to mention it is for Year 2 class!

2. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

Magnetic letters (you can then suggest they get some for the fridge, make a word while whoever it is makes breakfast/dinner/snack etc. Make messages for each other to read...)
    Foam letters in water tray (even if you dont have one in your class, sure you could borrow from Early Years for a morning or find a shallow tray to use) fish for letters - what words can you make/what sounds have you found (transfer to bathtime at home)
    Use toy cars and have some sounds/HFW/Whatever set up at other end of carpet - race to a given sound/word or have words or sounds lined up around carpet - who can get the car the furthest, mine stopped at 'the' and yours at 'they' type games.
    Have your book area set up and display some examples of questions or conversations that you can have about stories.
    Play 'pictionary' - make word cards and child has to read the word then draw it, parent to guess what it is, swap over.
    Pairs using high frequency word - they can only keep the pair if they can read it.

3. Thank you so much! Great ideas and have added then to my list. Thank you so much

4. If your class is Year 2, I would have thought that some of these activities are too young?
    Perhaps you can think more in terms of games like Scrabble at home or a version of hangman with sound segmenting rather than letter by letter spelling.
    What do you actually do in class? Can you model for the parents how the children orally segment words to spell them and then think 'which spelling alternative' they need to spell the words?
    Can you demonstrate games where one child reads words aloud for the partner to spell then swaps roles for the partner to read another word for the first child to spell. Then check the spellings.
    Have a look at the alphabetic code charts at www.phonicsinternational.com . Do you use any of these in your class to support your planned and incidental spelling teaching? If not, you might find them helpful -and parents can download a preferred version to support spelling at home as well.