1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading and ofsted

Discussion in 'English' started by t3ap0t, Jan 15, 2016.

1. t3ap0t

t3ap0t New commenter

Does anyone know how much evidence is required by ofsted for reading? Lots of mixed messages at the moment. Staff are being asked to record reading in several ways which is becoming counterproductive and time consuming.

2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

I'm secondary based.
    We were last inspected in Sept 2014.

Ofsted were happy with the following:

• Class readers every half term in KS3 (KS4 goes without saying!).
    • Library lesson for KS3 classes either once a week or once every two weeks.
    • When in the library, students (especially Pupil Premium, SEN and Middles Boys) had to read from their chosen book and then staff asked reading AF style question about what they'd just read. The teacher then fills in a reading record.
    • We also run a 'Reading Buddies' programme e.g. Class teachers select their weaker readers and I pair them with a 'buddy' reader from Y9. We run this intervention one form/registration period a week.
    • We also set reading as a homework as part of their 60 minutes English curriculum time homework per week - a parent has to sign in their planner to say they've read. We had some issues with that when we first implemented it, however, parents realise the importance and the majority are on board.
    I definitely think one unified approach is the way forward. Even if it's differentiated for different classes or year groups.

Hope some of that is useful. If it's not, take comfort from the fact that there's a lot of recording and time consuming checking involved in what we do!

3. t3ap0t

t3ap0t New commenter

Thanks.It is very useful. Think the 'ofsted' word is used to justify many ideas and common sense disappears. Consistency is definitely the right way to go.