1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading and Maths in Y1 expectations help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Mar 16, 2012.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Oh tricky. How did she get so far beyond the others in the class?

2. I can understand what you are saying, and I wouldn't be afraid to ask the teacher to have a chat and then ask them how they are supporting her at her level. I can see how it is particularly tricky in an infants school - primary schools have the advantage of being able to use KS2 resources/expertise.
    It's also tricky because in a Y1 class I would imagine the TA (and it may not be a full time TA) is primarily being used to target the lower achievers.
    I think if I were in her teacher's shoes, my approach would be a lot of differentiated questionning to her during carpet sessions, guided group reading I would forget with her and just make 5 minutes a day to read with her 1:1 as she is obviously well above the others, and to provide her with more "problem solving" or "extend your own learning" type challenges in Maths to apply her maths knowledge as often this is the area of maths that children struggle with.
    You say in writing she is not far above the others due to the lack of words she can get down on a page, so perhaps the level the lessons are set at for writing is okay - writing is easy to differentiate as I would have an expectation that she always remember capitals/full stops, and includes a describing word and a connective word in her sentences etc. It wouldn't be hard to make her a personalised "target card" of everything I expected from her writing.
    Beware of using SATs papers to level her - Im not sure where you have got it from but make sure it is not the 2007 or 2009 one as she will be completing one of those when she finishes Y2 and it would throw a spanner in the works and be unfair if she has already done it at home!
    Also, she may be reading books that are of a high level but be very very wary of assessing her as a Level 3 - the code of reading "clicks" for many children but being able to retell a story in detail and read between the lines of the characters emotions and actions is a skill that stops many children from being a high level 2/level 3.
    What kind of things can she do in maths? People here can probably give you an idea of level without you having to subject her to tests!
    Can she add/subtract with 2 digit numbers mentally and using a paper method? Or 3 digit numbers? Does she know her 2, 5 and 10 times tables? Does she know 3/4s? Can she multiply 2 digit numbers by partitioning? Can she solve word problems requiring her to use her skills above? Does she know halving and quartering of shapes and numbers? Can she tell the time to the half/quarter hour?
    It would be interesting to know what exactly she is doing in maths at home with you to see how far ahead she is.

3. She wanted to read, so I taught her! So when she started school I spoke to the teacher, who was very helpful, and allowed her t start in ORT level 3 books! We try to get her to do comprehension as we go along with any books that come home, discussing unknown words, terms and ideas! I don't think anyone else in her class read before starting school!

4. impulce - thanks for your reply. This is most of the responses!
    School claim that her guided reading group is supporting her level - maybe i think her comprehension is further ahead than they do, perhaps she actually understands less/more than she lets on!! She mostly understands emotion in stories and can give a lot of info but it often has to be prised out of her.
    The TA is invariably involved with low achievers, plus she is not in the class all the time, perhaps only half time, which means the teacher has little spare time, plus job share teachers means communication between teacher and parent is always somewhat more challenging as you're never quite sure how much is passed on or which teacher is the best to approach!! Only in the last 2 weeks have they acknowledged that she may need additional help despite me trying to tell them ever since she started in reception with 90% of her reading and numeracy FS targets already attained! I get the looks that say 'pushy parent' and 'she couldn't possibly be doing that' looks when I approach staff, maybe I'm reading things that aren't there but the response is less than welcoming, which makes apporaching them about any additional help or guidance feel like I am the one in the wrong! I'm glad there are lots of sensible teachers out there on TES and mumsnet who are happy to offer their time to give suggestions and help instead!
    As to SAT's paper, it's an old 2003 one that is readily available for free all over the internet, so if they use that my daughter won't be the only one with an unfair start, other parents decide to let their kids practice at home too and that will be the one they are likely to use! I have found something better anyway!! Which is similar enough to be usable without the possibility of stepping on toes!
    Maths - her learning is not even and not directly following the curriculum, due to the order things have cropped up in. She doesn't as such know her times tables but understands the priniple of multiplying and dividing and can count in 2s, 5s and 10s easily. She has just learnt to tell the time (including 5 past, 20 to etc), so can now read analogue and digital, can convert from one to the other and can add and take away certain amount of time from that ie 15 minutes earlier, one hour later etc, we haven't done 24 hour clocks just yet though (her initial response is don't know until you probe her into working it out, she only learnt last week!!), still trying to work on these skills to ensure they have snk in! She likes word problems and will sit and work through things like 'the teacher had 4 boxes of 20 pencils, and she gave two to each of the 30 pupils in her class, how many did she have left at the end?'. She understands place value of number so can work with hundreds or even thousands to add and take away with paper, her mental arithmatic is not that good! She understands basic fractions, counts without the need for numberlines, can add and take away with money/give change etc, understands how to find the difference, can tell you the number of faces and corners of 2D and 3D shapes, knows odds/evens. She has quite a logical mind and so will work through anything you give her until she finds an answer, so she likes trying things on nrich! She loves playing games, especially orchard toys ones like 'magic cauldron'. We've starting symmetry next (as in a week or two, perhaps over easter, need to find a good mirror) as she was discussing it yesterday! She just loves maths and gravitates towards anything mathematical, as a toddler she loved to sort things by shape and colour, count them, make patterns etc! She may not be massively far ahead (not spared her as much time as she would like and weekends disappear too quick) but I know her class is currently trying to learn place order of 2 digit numbers and are still only working with numbers up to 20! She plays the BBC KS1 games and has completed all the games on the 'really hard' level for both numeracy and literacy and was trying out the science ones the last few times she played! I don't know if that's any help in knowing her level, she may know other areas too, they were the ones that sprung to mind!

5. That would be far far far more helpful than the supposed 'individual learning targets' she usually comes home with, which she has invariably already completed!