1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading Age Tests - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shelleymccuk, Jun 30, 2008.

1. shelleymccuk

shelleymccuk New commenter

Which reading test do you use???

The one we have used for the last few years is a multiple choice where the children have to choose the correct word (from a choice of 4) to fill in the gap correctly. My concern about this is that children can just 'guess' and not put much thought into it, therefore giving misleading results.

Have googled and found the Burt Reading Test but don't know much about it...

2. shelleymccuk

shelleymccuk New commenter

Which reading test do you use???

The one we have used for the last few years is a multiple choice where the children have to choose the correct word (from a choice of 4) to fill in the gap correctly. My concern about this is that children can just 'guess' and not put much thought into it, therefore giving misleading results.

Have googled and found the Burt Reading Test but don't know much about it...

3. Sorry, I can't help but I am interested in this too. Bump it up. X

4. impis

impis New commenter

5. impis

impis New commenter

6. Can;t swear to it, but we use something called (I think!) the Salford Test .....may be totally wrong! The child reads senences that get progressively trickier and once they have made a certain number of errors, you stop the test and mark the line you stopped at - this shows you their reading age in a column down the side.

7. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

I don't like any of the multiple choice type tests (though we have to use Suffolk reading every two years) as I think they negate all the work you do on comprehension and can often turn into general knowledge tests at the higher levels.
    Anyway the best I've found so far is the PMBenchmarking kit (which gives you an age range) but not great for older children. It is a 1:1 test similar in style to the KS1 reading task.We just use it for children going into and coming out of intervention programmes.

8. invincible

invincible New commenter

Post 5

That's the Holborn Reading Scale - the one I still use.

9. We have been using the old schonnel test tree little egg bird etc which gives reading ages 12+ but have just bought in Sandford which is more meaningful to child but only gives reading age to 10.6 maybe ok for infant or less able.

10. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

11. invincible

invincible New commenter

What do you use to link the data in that last one to things like NC levels or book bands for setting up reading groups or individual reading books once kids have done the test?
    I ask because we have been using the Developmental Reading Assessment (DRA) kit from the US in our international school which is really thorough and gives great information but takes forever to administer. Now I, as language coordinator, am looking for something easier to administer in less time that gives useful data but will still help the teachers in our school to put kids on the right levels according to what we have for guided and individual reading (which is ORT, RWI and Reading A-Z).

12. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

The Salford Reading test will give you a reading age and is very quick to administer. (but you would have to do it individually)
    For a more indepth assessment the York Assessment of Reading for Comprehension is a good test.

13. We use the Holborn - goes up to about 14 years RA I think. Was just about to say that it is as accurate as any- but then realised that a couple of my Year 6s who supposedly had Reading ages of between 8.9 and 9.6, actually got Level 5 in their Reading Comprehension Sat....so make of that what you will!!

14. invincible

invincible New commenter

That's why I asked about that online test and how the data is used to help grouping children at the correct levels. There's no point in doing a test if you're not going to use the data in some useful way. That's why I really like the DRA test as it tells you so much useful info (phonic knowledge, comprehension, reading behaviours and strategies used) and then you can use that in so many ways, from formative needs to grouping in guided reading groups at the correct levels. The only damn problem is that our teachers hate it because it takes so bleeding long to administer. You need so much time out for it and it can take up to two weeks to get the whole class done. That's why I was hoping for something similar but that can be done in less time.