1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reading advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellie28, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Hi all I am finding it a bit impossible to manage reading in my class.
    The children are all at very different abilities and I don't know where to start.
    It doesn't help that I have a 25 min slot a week and 33 kids in my class!
    At the minute I am putting out a variety of activities for different groups - eg comprehension, sight vocab and putting words into a sentence etc
    I feel it's all very bitty and has no real focus/ objective as chd all need different things.
    Can anyone offer any advice please?

2. Hi all I am finding it a bit impossible to manage reading in my class.
    The children are all at very different abilities and I don't know where to start.
    It doesn't help that I have a 25 min slot a week and 33 kids in my class!
    At the minute I am putting out a variety of activities for different groups - eg comprehension, sight vocab and putting words into a sentence etc
    I feel it's all very bitty and has no real focus/ objective as chd all need different things.
    Can anyone offer any advice please?

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

What year group? What do you mean by reading? Why only 25 mins a week? How do children learn to read at school if they only read for 25 mins a week? Sorry so many questions. Good luck. I'm sure if you explain more clearly there will be lots of people along to help.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I do 20 mins on four days a week with 30 children in the class.

I read with one group, another enjoys books in the reading corner, another completes reading journal activities and the last chooses from a selection of reading/word based activities and games. They rotate round the different sections each time so all do all of them each week.

I agree with mystery10, 25 mins a week is not enough.