1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reader for a very nervous child for KS2 maths SATS

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mgmiss, May 9, 2012.

1. I have read and re-read the ARA advice and read through the posts on here BUT, as a first time head and first time administering SATS, I would like some advice. Can I put a reader in with one child who is assessed at 3C for maths but will not make it in a test as tests throw her completely?

2. I have read and re-read the ARA advice and read through the posts on here BUT, as a first time head and first time administering SATS, I would like some advice. Can I put a reader in with one child who is assessed at 3C for maths but will not make it in a test as tests throw her completely?

3. jay7

jay7 New commenter

Yes you can. If the child is working within level 3 and needs a reader to access the test then it's fine.

4. we always give the nervous children or those who can't concentrate a reader - sometimes even someone to reassure or *** if they fall asleep!

5. not sure why it replaced p.r.o.d.??

6. She could read the test to be fair, but she is just very nervous and needs to be nursed through; it's hand holding really.

Thanks to all for your advice.

7. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

Readers should only be given if part of normal classroom practice. Does this child have a reader normally in class? If not, she can have things read but not have a reader (ie she can put up her hand to ask for a question to be read to her, but can't have a reader!) that's my interpretation of the ARA. The maladministration guide clearly lists "over support" as a possible problem. Sorry if I'm a party pooper!

8. But in a normal classroom you would not expect the pressure of working on your own for 45 minutes without any support. The whole notion of not being able to ask for help terrifies some children - if a friendly adult sitting beside a child and reading the questions out will help her settle then I say fine