1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Read write inc

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hammie, Mar 10, 2012.

1. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i have moved twice due to carp SMT (primarily new heads) in both cases they were out within a year of my givng up on them.
    If you like the school, consider keeping your head down and see how it goes.
    All schemes have good and bad bits, so maybe it won't be as bad as you expect.
    The shouting down person is a *** who will eventually show themselves up and fade away (or get promoted away) so give them time and rope to hang themself! if they invite you to a meeting use your right to a friend sitting in.

2. I understand that RWI is not for everyone, however it has worked at our school and after starting RWI in Sept we have seen outstanding progress in reading.
    I was personally against RWI before we began the programme as I felt it would take creativity out of literacy but we have found that their are drama elements in RWI which can engage the children and inspire writing, if it is taught with passion.
    I believe that children need the basics before they start to learn about genres. If a child cannot write a sentence or read an example text, what is the point of teaching them to write instructions or non-chron reports? We now have children in Y2 who have finished RWI and are accessing literacy session that are creative and visual.
    The TA staff are more confident in delivering sessions as their is lots of guidance in RWI programme and as they are monitored by the reading manager the groups are consistent and RWI sessions are all good or better. TA and teaching staff are held accountable for reading standards and the reading manager supports all staff to ensure that children are progressing.
    I do not work for RWI by the way, I have just seen how positive it has been in our school. The children very much enjoy their learning and on a recent school trip a child was upset that they couldnt do RWI that day!
    It does seem that the SMT have not thought every aspect through though. We do need lots of space to teach groups, with plenty of display space for resources. They also do not seem to have sold the scheme and its benefits to you in a positive way. I think that you are right to look for a new job if SMT are not supportive but don't do it if it is just to avoid RWI, as you can't knock it until you've tried it!
    From a RWI convert

3. I agree that's the passion and energy with which it is taught is imperative. We longer use the scheme as a whole, but have applied bits of it across the entire curriculum (partner strategies, flashcards, praise, ...), and I think we needed to through the process of teaching it as a whole scheme in order to get where we are now. Does that make sense?

4. We use it and it has had a huge impact, I wish you could see it in action and meet some of the children who had benefited from it.
    RWI has taken a bit of a hammering on here but when taught properly; with energy and enthusiasm it really really really works!
    See if you can get out to have a look at another school where it is being delivered well to see it in action.

5. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I'm only a parent, but as I understand it there is an RWI schools manager at OUP (sorry the name escapes me). She would probably be able to tell you about an RWI "model" school that would be worth visiting. Lots of school use RWI in some shape or form, but to a greater or lesser degree.
    Have you had the RWI training from RWI themselves? I haven't. I've just read the phonics handbook and the speed sound lesson plans. Why would it mean, even if you did it for the 1 hour a day recommended in the handbook, which would include doing the Get Writing books, no other literacy activities? This is the bit I never understand when teachers talk about why they don't like RWI.
    I would suggest maybe that over the next few years at least, good phonics teaching is going to take greater importance on the CV of a teacher in lower primary. So maybe if you get the full RWI training at your current school, they will be doing you a favour, as it is expensive.
    If your school implements it fully and enthusiastically, whatever everyone's private doubts, you should see results. This could be satisfying and also good for the CV. My children are at a school that half-implement it. So when I read about schools that finish the phonics and get writing programme part-way through year 2 with some children I turn green with envy!!