1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Read Write Inc

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emilylewis82, Dec 1, 2011.

1. We have just bought into Read Write Inc at our school but want to include assessment for learning and Success Criteria on our plans.
    We are quite frustrated with the lack of 'electronic' recources and that the plans are not in a word format so that we can add our evaluation, SC and A4L on to them.
    Just wondered what other schools were doing as regards to LO, SC and A4L.
    Any advice would be super.
    Thanks

2. We have just bought into Read Write Inc at our school but want to include assessment for learning and Success Criteria on our plans.
    We are quite frustrated with the lack of 'electronic' recources and that the plans are not in a word format so that we can add our evaluation, SC and A4L on to them.
    Just wondered what other schools were doing as regards to LO, SC and A4L.
    Any advice would be super.
    Thanks

3. We don't use LO or SC in RWI - as such, we don't have the traditional LO written and the SC written.
    The LO is varied depending on the part of the lesson you are learning, but I wouldn't waste time writing it on a board as the pace is fairly quick in RWI. As for SC that also is part of the process and the A4L is happening constantly.
    Having read that back it doesn't make much sense, I guess I would say get the RWI delivery correct, that is important and will ensure the children can read more than writing LO and SC on planning on boards?! !

4. Thank you that does make sense.
    My head of school wants the SC and A4L on the plans so that we are 'covered' during an Ofsted inspection. Even though I know Read Write Inc is Ofsted approved!
    He would like us to make a proforma with the RWI lesson plan on it (Retype it all!) and include all of the above on it.
    I agree with you though the main thing is getting the delivery of the lesson correct is much more important.

5. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Is OFSTED really like that? Their latest OFSTED stuff about inspection of reading sounds reasonably sensible. I don't think what your head is suggesting is going to determine whether your teaching of reading is good or not.

6. Think Ofsted are more interested in accurate phonics delivery from the teacher and how well the children are learning and being extended where appropriate.

7. My Head is an Ofsted trained inspector and we are a RWI school, he is very confident in our RWI delivery and he knows that the main thing is learning, as long as your results are good and your teaching is strong Ofsted aren't looking for that SC on the board in phonics lessons. Well that's what he says so I wouldn't worry however to keep your head happy you could put in SC that is generic to all RWI lessons.
    eg...something like..... being a good partner, using my sounds to blend words, giving my partner praise, using my fingers for spelling and my eyes for reading.
    you know those RWI principles which are important for all lessons- the SC would always be the same but it might tick that box!