1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

read write inc

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by flowerfairy9, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I am about to go to an interview for a Senco role and I know that the school want to introduce read write inc for reading and to help with SEN. Does anyone have any experience of using Fresh Start or any of the resources for RWI? I have seen some of the books used for writing in reception but can anyone explain what the ditties are about?
    Many thanks

2. Hi

The ditties are the first reading the children do at sentence level within the scheme. They need to be secure with the set 1 sounds to move onto this phase. The ditties are basically a reduced version of the books that they will eventually read as they become confident. They are asked to read through the sounds at the beginning and then sound out and blend the words in sentences e.g. cat on a mat etc. Then there is some cloze work for writing with picture cues. The ditties can be rather a boring phase and thankfully RWI have now brough in some books at red level which are a bit more colourful. It's a great scheme and we have seen some great results at school as well as being able to identify early those who need more support.
    Hope that helps.

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

If you can read some of the handbooks for the scheme .e.g the phonics handbook, the lesson plans handbook etc it will give you a good feel for the scheme. It has its own website, but without purchasing the handbooks or going on the training there's nothing that tells you much about it in any detail.
    On the OUP website there is a list of schools that use RWI and that I think are willing to share their experience. If you had the time and opportunity you might be able to visit one local to you. They might of course not have purchased the elements of the scheme you are interested in e.g. Fresh Start.

4. I use Freshstart for KS3 pupils. It is an excellent programme on the whole (though it could do with a bit of updating and error correcting). I don't think there is anything better available in terms of having very good integral resources (e.g. not having to hunt for age appropriate decodable text as it is incorporated in the workbooks). It is based on partner work (but can be used one to one) and pupils are placed on the scheme so that any group comprises pupils all working at about the same level.
    It can be 'delivered' by anyone with a good grasp of the synthetic phonics teaching principles, or who is able to read the handbook and follow the lessons to the letter!