1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Read Write Inc...What next? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by winni1, Apr 16, 2019.

1. winni1

winni1 New commenter

So, we have been a RWI school for a short time. We have been teaching phonics and reading with it but not the writing part of the scheme. For various reasons, we've never had the wonderful problem of loads of Y1 finishing Grey this early in the year and now we are stuck. For context, the current YR are also flying so this will be something we will encounter next year too. I know we could drop them onto Lit and Lang (like we could afford the books ha! ha!) but we are also a TW4 school so ideally we need a suitably challenging and graded reading scheme/comprehension something. I also know we could hold them on Grey for a bit yet but this is not a long term solution.

My only thought is stepping them onto the next book band level up from RWI Grey and using the assessments from the Lit and Lang to measure progress...

Any suggestions/advice would be very welcome!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Or simply move them off RWI completely and move to the usual literacy and spelling lessons the rest of the school use.
    Once ours finish RWI (we only do phonics/reading as well) they just move to a comprehension rich English lesson when everyone else does phonics.

We don't use a scheme after RWI.

3. winni1

winni1 New commenter

That would be my ideal but I can't do that because of timetabling. We do 45 mins of RWI every day for YR/1 and some Y2 who need it still. Then we have an hour or so English lesson in KS1, depending on assemblies etc.

My HT wants them to stay on some sort of graded reading scheme (probably good old book bands.) I have to have something of value and appropriate challenge for the golden 12 Y1 children to do whilst the rest do RWI.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

So 45 mins a day of enjoying reading...maybe run it like a book club?
    They don't need a scheme.

What do the year 2s do in that time, the ones not doing RWI?
    Can the year 1s join them, or do the same thing?
    They could start what has been being done in Autumn of year 2?

5. winni1

winni1 New commenter

I like the idea of 'Book Club...' The boss is very keen that we continue some form of graded reading structure off the back of our inspection last year. They were very impressed with the reading in the lower years but have asked us to think about how that looks throughout the school. I can see us heading back to the old banded books system... We are also looking at how we assess reading after the structure of RWI.

The vast majority of Y2 are doing a comprehension lesson but they couldn't have the Y1 even if they wanted to because of space. They can't do what Y2 did in the Autumn because the Y2 were all still on the RWI.

At least its a positive problem :)

6. caterpillartobutterfly

7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

You are doing really well. :) I teach top set and we are still on blue. I will aim to be in grey by half term. We do the Get Writing for an hour a day though so it does take longer.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

It also depends a LOT on your intake.
    Some of my nursery children could have started on the red ditty books after Christmas, if I was so inclined.

I wasn't and so they haven't...parents have objected about the lack of 'reading books', but now they see how much their child loves making up 'Weird Words' with letter cards and sounding out, they have got the idea. The children are excitedly looking forward to reception when they will get a 'reading book', but over half will start a fair way through the scheme.

In another school where I taught RWI to year 1, most of the class were only just on red ditty books at the start of year 1.

Intake is everything.

9. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Very true!