1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Read Write Inc / Lit schemes - thoughts?

Discussion in 'English' started by dav1970, Jun 14, 2011.

1. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

Hi all
    We have been running Read Write Inc for the past year in our school as our main literacy scheme. I'm the Year 5 teacher and although I enjoyed it at first, the jury is out. It seems very repetetive and there is hardly any word/text/sentence level work in there. I have to supplement it with my own.
    Any thoughts on it? I'm moving schools to be Year 6 teacher and joint Lit co-ordinator. I don't want to recommend something after just one year of working with it and I really think we should be following a scheme so that we are all consistent.
    Does anybody run any different literacy schemes that have worked; modern, relevant and hitting every level of literacy expectancy?
    Thanks
    David

2. Are you using the initial teaching Read Write Inc programme or are you using Read Write Inc Freshstart?

3. dav1970

dav1970 New commenter

The initial Read Write Inc programme

4. Its author Ruth Miskin is on the government's advisory committee for the review of the national curriculum. So teachers using her stuff can be sure that they will be complying with the latest government view on literacy teaching.(There was a piece about it in the TES on 3 June and lots of letters last week.)
    I think the main reason why u might be finding Miskin's stuff inappropriate is because by Y5 (beyong KS1 really) learning to read and write English is not about phonics. For spelling in particular it involves mainly memorising the words which disobey the main English spelling patterns and exactly how they do this,
    e.g. bandit, merit, visit - favourite.
    or
    Use, units... - Eucalyptus.
    you/ewe/yew, youth, ewer

Assuage, fuel... - Sewage, jewel, steward.

Nude
    -
    Feud, feudal, neutral, pneumatic, pseudo,

Cumin -
    rheumatism.

Luminous - Lewd, newt,
    pewter.

Duke -
    Nuclear

Duty
    - Beauty. Suitable, suitcase.

Reduce … - Juice, nuisance,
    suicide

Muse, music… - Tuesday.
    For more on this see:
    http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com/2010/11/english-spelling-rules.html