1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Read write inc - is it just like marmite?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ruthiesword, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

Thinking about taking the plunge with it but feel it is just like marmite - you either love it or hate it - not sure which side I'm on yet and want to get a balanced view if possible.
    Thanks

2. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

I think it is a great phonics programme (bear in mind that I am a NQT and have nothing to compare it with) - the negatives = need enough staff and rooms for the groups; TAs who lead a group need to be sufficiently geared up to teaching it; it can be seen as being too prescriptive; children really do need to be 'off' the programme by the end of Year 1 so that Year 2s get all the necessary input that is needed to cover the curriculum. The positives = it gets children reading quickly!! Because you assess every 6 weeks and change groups/books/teachers accordingly, all children are taught at their exact level and any gaps are spotted and filled in. To address the accusation of being too prescriptive and a 'bit boring', I think you definitely have to inject all sorts of 'extras' on top of the actual programme, which I think a teacher would probably do anyway (eg lots of speaking activities and drama added in and turning the writing bits into different genres). I'm sure others will have lots of other views on this, but these are my initial ones, for what they are worth!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm not a fan

4. notasstressedasilook

notasstressedasilook New commenter

Certainly not true! The point of RWI is to get children to Level 2A reading. Possible for some Year 1s but not expected by the end of Year 1.

We've introduced it this year and the results have been fantastic. It's only boring if the teacher is!

5. I heard it is not possible to do your literacy in a cross curricular way with it. Is that the case?
    We do lots of writing with a purpose, which is much easier to do in a cross curricular way, but from what I have heard I am not sure if this is possible with RWI.

6. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Singup, in our school yes it is very separate from the rest of the curriculum and because children from different year groups are in the same set it makes doing anything cross-curricular difficult.
    The comment about it only being boring if the teacher is boring - well I'm not boring, but I don't see the point of buying in a scheme if you basically have to replan to make it interesting. If you follow the scheme to the letter it doesn't work and yes it is boring, so I would rather put effort into planning and resourcing what I think the children need, rather than replanning the scheme to make it work.

7. Thanks for that alexanderosman. It sounds like it works, but requires a big sacrifice. The children learn so well learnining in a cross curricular way and with a real purpose to their writing, so I am not sure I would be keen. For me, literacy is a central part of their learning, so should link to the things they learn in history, art etc. I wouldn't be so keen if I had to teach it all separately.

8. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Me neither, and it also creates issues with deciding which teacher is responsible for the children's levels in reading and writing, as well as the fact that the scheme actually doesn't cover everything the children need to learn to develop as writers.

9. Marmite: Exactly!
    I hated it at first: so fake, so false, so OTT but as the nominated lead I had to toe the line and publicly LOVE it! [​IMG]
    Soooooo I tried it and (un)surprisingly the kids love it, they love the teacher's enthusiasm and passion and the fact that they can read the books and see progress in themselves and their perfect partner so yep I now genuinely love it & will sing it's praises to whoever listens![​IMG]
    We use RWI from FS2 to Y3(they shouln't need it but do!)
    We do it as well as literacy - it doesn't do enough to get rid of literacy all together! Huge implications on our timetable but worth it!