1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Read Write Inc - help please.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sgnqt17, Mar 3, 2019.

1. sgnqt17

sgnqt17 New commenter

Hi

I am a TA who has been asked to teach a year 2 child 1:1 for RWI (I have had no training). He used to be in the lowest but struggled to keep up. He has knowledge of the first 12 sounds, but struggles to blend, segment and write CVC words. I have been asked to only teach speed sounds, green words and use the magnetic letters. At our school we only do 30 mins of RWI - we do not use the writing books etc.
    I am currently teaching him set 1 sounds and doing of blending. However I am unsure of the structure of the session. Here is what I do:
    Speed sound cards already learnt.
    Introduce new sound, 'today we are learning a new sound, m'. My turn, your turn saying sound.
    Show the picture side of the card, say 'mmmountain', My turn your turn saying mountain. Draw a picture on a piece of paper (of Maisie mountain), trace letter with finger saying 'mmmountain'.
    Turn card over to show letter, say 'm'.
    Play game of showing either side of the card, getting the child to recognise either m or mountain.

After I have taught the new sounds I will put that card and two previously learnt with the picture facing up. I will ask the child to point at the picture I say. I repeat this again but with the sound facing up (can you point to 'm', can you point to 'a').

Now this is where I get confused, I have packs of green words (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4,1.5 and 1.6) and also magnetic letters. How do I teach the green words for word time?
    I get confused as to when the child has to fred talk or fred in their head. Also, I'm not sure whether I need to create 'piles' with the green words. Should I be teaching particular green words with a certain sound? I am also unsure what to do with the magnetic letters.

Any help would be much appreciated and if session ideas could be written clearly that would be great.

Thanks.

2. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Haven’t used it in a while so can’t answer off the top of my head, but I do know that the sessions are pretty well set out in the handbook. Ask the RWI lead to see their copy, there will probably only be one book in the school. If you live in a city / town with a uni that does teacher training you can be pretty sure they’ll have all the resources in the teaching section of the library. You won’t be able to borrow it but should be able to sit with it in the library and take some photos on your mobile - who needs photocopiers.

3. scarfandhat

scarfandhat New commenter

You teach the word times after each stage of letters e.g - m a s t d (word time 1) I n g o (word time 2) etc. You can find the order of sounds online.
    http://www.hindley.wigan.sch.uk/Docs/Spellings/Autumn 2/Year One Spelling List.pdf

Once you have completed the first 5 sounds, you introduce word time 1. Then as you introduce the next lot of sounds, still revisit word time 1 everyday. When all sounds of wt2 are complete you introduce them word time 2 words.
    Magnetic letters - Fred fingers. You give them a word e.g mat and they put it on their fingers and use the magnetic letters to spell it out.
    Fred talk - Fred cannot blend. You read the sounds for a word e.g m a t and the children reply with ‘mat’ as a word.
    All of this should be visited in one session.
    Revisit learnt sounds
    Introduce new sounds
    Writing new sound
    Reading word time cards
    Fred fingers/magnetic letters
    Fred talk
    Red words (again in stages)

Hope this helps!