1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

read write inc advice please

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by lisahanson1, Jan 2, 2012.

1. lisahanson1

lisahanson1 New commenter

Can anyone tell me if the books that the children read should always match the sounds taught? I think that they should-my understanding was that the reading books and writing task re-enforces the taught sounds. Our read /write inc co-ordinator seems to disagree.

2. I thought this was so although I have only worked with the fresh starts for KS2 and spellings. Otherwise there is no practice through reading and writing for the children. You can always look in the teachers handbook or look at the Ruth Miskin website.

3. Is your co-ordinator expecting children to read books containing letter/sound correspondences that they haven't yet learned?
    I think that your 'understanding' is spot on!

4. lisahanson1

it seems that way,
    we undertook training run by a Read write inc consultant, but it was most disjointed and rushed. I have experience of Jolly phonics and thought that this scheme would be very similar. I've decided i teach the graphemes in the books at the start of lesson one so that things match up, but others in school are teaching set 2 sounds but reading books with set 1 sounds-which seems downright stupid at best-tragic at worst!

Thanks for your thoughts-they put my mind at rest :)

5. lisahanson1

Thanks for your reply,
    I think i've finally got my head around read write inc, having 3 manuals to work from makes things complicated at first as there's so much jumping to and fro.

6. The whole point of RWI is that pupils do not encounter GPCs in text before they have learned them in isolation. So yes, children are encountering and learning new GPCS in the Speed Sounds section at the beginning of a book but they are not expected to decode or encode words containing these GPCs until a subsequent set of books. Green and Purple books therefore introduce all Set 2 speed sounds but words containing these are not included in either the stories or the Get Writing books.

7. I am not defending the 'point' of it I am merely describing the structure of the programme. I presume that the rationale behind it is that children have encountered 'sounds' (yes I do mean graphemes- you are SO patronising) and have practised decoding them before they encounter them I text. You would have to ask Ruth Miskin for her explanation of why.

8. I just like to be clear about what is being discussed. Sounds are what you hear, graphemes are the letters which represent them. There are only 44 sounds but there are some 160 - 180 common graphemes. There might be people reading this thread who don't know the difference...