1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Read Write Gold - use for exam concessions?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Woody Wood, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Woody Wood

Woody Wood New commenter

Hi all

Does anyone use this software instead of readers/scribes? If so, do you recommend or are there any oroblems to be aware of? We don't have enough bodies for the level of need anymore, so need to find a suitable alternative.

2. Innocent

Innocent New commenter

We have used it for the past 2 years. For the vast majority of students the 'reader' part of the software works really well, especially if they can be really familiar with it before use in exams.

I have a couple of students who are working on the speech to text part of the software. If you are not a fluent reader then training the voice recognition software seems to be a barrier, but I am hopeful that we will get students using the speech to text part this year. Some of the study tools are really good as well, and we have used the translate part for EAL new arrivals

3. Woody Wood

Woody Wood New commenter

Thanks so much, very helpful. If they use speech to text in exam do they have to be in a separate room?

4. b00kw0rm

b00kw0rm New commenter

it would make sense to be in a separate room, and i would have thought a requirement if a student is "speaking" their responses.

I haven't used R&WG for a while, so updates may have made some improvements to the speech to text, but i did find the voice recognition training challenging.

Other possibilities, an iPad mini/ 3 or above with siri enabled (in settings) the notes app has a speech to text option which is really accurate- needs to access internet to work though! this might challenge exam regs, but with close supervision might be an option.

I saw a demo of (i think) Dragon/ Nuance naturally speaking and found this easier to use and more effective speech to text than R&WG, there is also a student version.