1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Read the profile!

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by David Getling, Sep 25, 2015.

1. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

It's not uncommon that, after browsing the well known tutor sites, someone contacts me asking my rate and whether I teach at the student's home. Both of these facts are given in my profile. So, I'm wondering how many students/parents don't bother to read the profiles of those they contact.

It really does seem that for many the way they select a tutor is much the same as mindlessly grabbing a litre of milk off the supermarket shelf. Would they take the same attitude to hiring a plumber or decorator? Too many parents seem to be of the opinion that all tutors and teachers are cut from the same cloth. I guess that's part of the reason why the UK continues to slip down the academic league tables: a large percentage of parents simply don't appreciate and value education.

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I had an adult learner contact me with regard to lessons, he could see my hourly rate and then in the second message, he told me his budget was £10 per hour!
    I told him to look for someone else

solvacrime likes this.
  3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Where I am anyway, there are far too many people trying to sell themselves as 'tutors', some of whom have no teaching experience or qualifications, such as university students, etc. A look at some of the tutor websites will show you what I mean. Parents have asked me whether I do the first lesson for free!

4. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I couldn't agree more! And their profiles are often pathetic, with lies and references that are clearly from relatives or friends.

I really do wonder how many parents are stupid enough to choose someone simply because they are cheap and will come to their home. I've had one student whose mother used to spend almost an hour driving her to me, wait during the hours tuition, and then spend another hour driving her home, because she specifically wanted a real tutor with IB Diploma experience.

5. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Agree with you David. My profile clearly says Monday to Saturday but am often asked if I
    tutor on Sundays.
    I do sometimes travel (for an additional fee) to students but have also had pupils come to me from 30 miles away.