1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Read Only application forms

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Mar 16, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Why?
    I mean, it's bad enough for a techno-nerd like me to find an application form downloads in PDF but, when I get all excited to find on in Word, I then spend hours filling it in carefully, doing my personal statement only to press 'save' and find it's 'read only' [​IMG]
    Why? I mean why put a document in 'read only' when the whole point is to type on the bleddy thing?
    I know it says 'read only' (in faint type at the very top) but I honestly don't expect something I'm expected to type onto in a format that let's me do it then dumps the whole shebang!
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Read only is only so you can't save over it accidentely (which is good for forms). Just save it under a different filename x

3. BelleDuJour

Tried that and it still dumped the lot. That's why I'm so grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [​IMG]

4. suefla

suefla New commenter

Find the file you downloaded. Right click on it and go to properties. Uncheck the read only box at the bottom.

5. Most PDF application forms can't be unchecked.
    I was struggling with this a few weeks ago & had to download a different PDF reader (Foxit I think) and you can save the PDF and then type onto it. Once you save it, you can still then open it to read with adobe reader or any other.
    Hope this helps

6. Ahh Belle,
    I share your frustration. I think they expect you to print the bloomin form off and hand write it.
    Which makes no sense to me if it is an electronic form.
    I've phoned up and had a word version of the form e-mailed to me before.
    I've learned my lesson - I always try typing my name and press save - then if it is read only it saves me the heartache of wasting all that time.

7. BelleDuJour

I did that once when the form was PDF.
    Why do they make it so bleedin' complicated? I mean, it's tedious enough filling the darn things out without needing a degree in ICT to do it [​IMG]

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

You spent hours without saving it? You should save more often, read only or no read only!

9. BelleDuJour

I know, I know. But they don't make it easy for you [​IMG]

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I was told recently that it is actually done deliberately as they really want a hand written form although why they can't just say that is beyond me.

11. You said the application form was in Word - so all you need to do is save again with a new file name without the read only option.
    If it is a pdf, you can highlight text and copy into Word - then you can fill in, save to pdf format and send off.
    As to Word - you will generally find that there are areas you cannot write in, but areas you can write in - this is how I send out contracts. I only secure certain areas and leave the rest as fields (the grey ones) where information can be filled in.

12. BelleDuJour

Thanks CQ. ICT is not my strong point [​IMG]