1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Read Mike Kent'scolumn on some of the madness of modern behaviour management

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by gailrobinson, May 31, 2011.

1. This week Mike Kent writes an interesting column on behaviour and the lack of power of many teachers. It's well worth a read. Here's a little taster:
    "A recent TES Magazine article haunted me for days. The writer, a secondary teacher, had been attempting to deal with a challenging teenager, and as the class left the room the boy barged against him to get out.
    The pupil was told to go to the headteacher, but he refused. The teacher took the boy's arm to lead him there, but the boy told him to F-off before storming out. The teacher immediately reported the incident to the deputy head. This sort of thing occurs regularly in secondary schools and increasingly in primaries. But it was what happened next that horrified me.
    The teacher received a call from the police, who said a complaint had been made against him by the school. Now, just in case that sentence hasn't hit home, let me say it again: the school had made a complaint."
    Read the full story - Modern madness has gone too far