1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reaction to snow closures

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lucilla90, Mar 1, 2018.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i've just seen some complaints that a school is open tomorrow.

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

From teachers or parents?:p

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We were officially open today. There is no snow settled on main roads and a few mm on side roads. We had kids leaving at lunchtime to get home safely. I envisage battling in to school tomorrow to find less than half of each class there.

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Nowadays it is far more common for teaching staff to live quite some distance from their school - not quite the case when I was at primary school.
    The day of the last 'hurricane' our head did not close the school sufficiently early enough - in fact not early at all and my journey home was a nightmare with most of the crossings of the Mersey/Ship canal gridlocked or closed! My journey of 7 miles took me a nightmare 5hours. One member of staff was 7 hours on the road just to cross the town. People in the houses on the route were taking tea/coffee etc to the drivers and allowing them to use bathrooms etc.
    I have taken a 'snow day ' decision this week - I lose the pay for that day but then it is no fun dicing with death on our ill-prepared roads.

InkyP and monicabilongame like this.
  5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I remember 1963 too. We lived in a new town and the teachers who lived there could be counted on the fingers of one hand, but the bus service was brilliant and I can't remember any closure of schools. It was fun for the first week, but by the second month it was boring.

I've just had a text from the school where I do exam invigilation. We will be closed which is a blessing as I think the road out of our the village will be a bit on the aahhhhhhh:eek::eek::eek: side!

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

@lizziescat parents, but i'm sure staff might have an opinion

lizziescat likes this.
  7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

My DiL's secondary school was open today - despite the country roads around the school being tricky. She has gone off the road tonight on her way home just a couple of miles from school - she is uninjured, thankfully, but there is considerable damage to her car. As far as I know she is still waiting for the recovery truck to tow her car away. She will be faced with a bill for the excess charge on her insurance and inconvenience whilst it is being repaired. She is not going in tomorrow - she won't have a car to make the journey.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I tend to think it's more a case of as an electorate we are fed up of paying more and more yet getting less and less.
    Why vote to throw more money down the toilet?

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We were open today - I picked my way carefully through the snow to work. There was no fresh snow so it would have been hard to justify a closure.

But it was incredibly cold and there were still some kids wandering about without coats.

....and some idiot set the fire alarm off.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  10. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

We’ve just been emailed to say school won’t be open tomorrow. Like @caterpillartobutterfly there was no mention of doing any work, just telling us to stay safe and warm.

11. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I hope she’s ok. That’s an awful thing to happen. This is why the people who complain about closures really need to stop and think. Where I live, they’ve actually closed roads (M5 etc, to stop people driving because it’s simply not safe to drive. Full stop.

les25paul likes this.
  12. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

Although in these conditions (red zone) it’s much less ambiguous, so I guess complaints are less.

13. marlin

marlin Star commenter

She is ok thanks and is now home safe and sound. The car has been towed away and she was picked up and driven home - very slowly - by my son. He said that even on the motorway the cars were only doing 30 mph as conditions were so bad. Her school have decided to close tomorrow - pity they didn't consider the safety of staff today.

7eleven likes this.
  14. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Agreed, there are people ranting and blaming for all sorts, about roads being closed, about public transport being off or reduced, about schools being closed. As though safety mattered not.

les25paul likes this.