1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reaction to snow closures

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lucilla90, Mar 1, 2018.

1. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I think where you live makes a difference. When I lived in Sheffield in an estate that could only be accessed by driving up and down hills, it was sometimes impossible to get on to the main roads. Where I live now is very flat with no hills so it is much easier to drive. Plus we hardly ever get snow.

The other thing is that many people drive to work and combine that with driving their children to school. Driving in the rush hour and during school drop off times, makes this area very heavy in traffic so I can understand why schools decide to close. I think it is a sensible decision in terms of preventing unnecessary road accidents and leaving the roads free for those who really need to use them.

Jesmond12, cheesypop and InkyP like this.
  2. klavender85

klavender85 New commenter

Now that is what being a mum is about! I remember many a times of my parents having to pick me up in all sorts of places in all kinds of weather. As an adult, it makes me appreciate them even more. :D

3. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

‘My Jonny missed out on the once in a lifetime experience of being part of a zombie attack. How dare the teacher stop him? What? Would I have want him attacked? Well no, he’s got his exams coming up. The maths teacher should have taken the pupils out but stood in front of them to protect them while teaching algebraic equations. But not if it was cold. Our Jonny doesn’t like the cold...’

strawbs and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Some people really need to take a reality check.

We are not talking about a few flakes of snow here but severe weather with red and amber warnings across the country. And we are not talking about the 1960s when many people could walk to school or work, today most take to the roads for their commute.

Combine severe weather conditions with lots of traffic and you will have chaos (and a few deaths :(). As much traffic as possible needs to be off the roads today and tomorrow so the really essential stuff can get through. That doesn't include teachers or many other workers.

Today in my non-teaching place of work we were told to buzz off early to avoid the predicted bad weather coming. We were also told if the situation doesn't improve tomorrow then we were not to come in. They did mention something about "working from home" so I shall be working on my motorbike :D.

strawbs, InkyP and cheesypop like this.
  5. NikiDoha

NikiDoha New commenter

One of our members of staff ended up in a ditch yesterday trying to get in, load of supply because people are stuck in rural villages was terrified driving today especially with my little one in the car. Slid past a junction because I literally couldn't stop. I'm in work, but I'm not very amused about it. Sorry but mine and my daughters well being comes before the children I teach. If its like this tomorrow I wont be venturing in, school open or not. Not lazy, just sensible. :D

6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

We were supposed to go to a concert in Bakewell on Saturday. I have just had an email from the ticket agency advising us that the concert has been cancelled due to the adverse weather.

Am I angry - no. Disappointed - yes but completely understandable in view of the conditions around here and the forecast for the next couple of days.

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I assume the adverse reaction (but not the name calling) is because parents will have to take a day off work to look after their children.
    But surely, as they are able to go to work (because they can walk/their roads are clear etc) then they can take their children with them. Perhaps the office/shop/bank/warehouse/piolice station) could organise a creche for the little ones.

No? - they're not a childminding service?

no NEITHER ARE SCHOOLS

MissMinton, strawbs, Laphroig and 9 others like this.
  8. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

When I first started teaching we were expected to report to our nearest school and teach there for the day in attempt to keep them open. That’s not possible anymore and so the schools must close.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Warning-this post contains an overabundance of upper case as a reflection of frequent exposure to today's local radio broadcasts.

This is a pretty thorough debate on why we close and who it hurts and if we really need to, so it surprises me that the number one cause of the school closure issue in most cases has not been mentioned, namely that the roads are not being gritted properly anymore.
    That's quite a nifty cover up, repeatedly saying it is TREACHEROUS on the radio, when actually they ought to be saying is YOUR COUNCIL CANNOT AFFORD TO KEEP THE ROADS FUNCTIONAL IN THE WAY THAT HAS HISTORICALLY ALWAYS WORKED.
    Just a staggeringly impressive cover up,and I await with keen interest the regeneration of all the potholes which have been shabbily filled in the last ten years, when the snow has passed, and the blame for this being placed on THE BEAST FROM THE EAST, rather than DISGRACEFUL LEVELS OF UNDER FUNDING.

If we blame the weather, we don't need to blame the real culprits for our roads simply not functioning due to neglect and poor maintenance. Stop talking about the weather "struggling".
    Throw some money at it fgs

Laphroig, cheesypop and ilovesooty like this.
  10. lizziescat

@sbkrobson. Indeed.

But then we might have to pay more in council tax to have sufficient snowploughs/gritters/personnel etc. and we won't vote for that will we. ;)
    As an electorate, we appear to want the benefits of services without paying for them.:(

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Gritting is only helpful up to a point. In heavy snowfall it's often inadequate and requires ploughing as well if roads are to be kept clear.

If snow is predicted, salt is spread in advance so when the first snow falls it can start to mix with salt to create a saline solution which can reduce the build up (accumulation) of snow and prevent the formation of ice.
    However in prolonged periods of snowfall the snow can fall at a rate faster than the salt can mix with the snow which means the snow may accumulate. Accumulated snow will have to be ploughed away from the roads or cleared in the pedestrian areas, but this is made much easier by salt spread in advance of the snowfall as the salt already applied reduces the likelihood of the snow freezing on the surface.
    Placing salt on top of snow which has already fallen has limited benefits.

https://www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/roads-parking-travel/gritting-and-grit-bins/how-grit-works/

wanet likes this.
  12. lizziescat

I wonder how many of the, 'they dont have this problem in Russia/Finland/Canada' complainants actually have winter/all season tyres fitted on their car and carry a designated 'bad weather' kit etc with them, or do they decide that a) its not worth it for a couple of days every 5 years b) it's someone else's reponsibility.

InkyP, lrw22, wanet and 1 other person like this.
  13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

On holiday in Bavaria a few summers ago, we noticed that all the houses we saw seemed to have, in their garages, a spare set of tyres for their car. We asked why...With typical Teutonic thoroughness (some might say), apparently in winter all car owners must (by law) fit winter tyres if they want to use their cars. Of course they get heavy snow every winter, we don't.

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

If I was teaching Maths set 6 on a Friday afternoon, and they were replaced with zombies, I would struggle to tell the difference.

strawbs, sbkrobson, tsarina and 2 others like this.
  15. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I wonder where they store them if they don't have a garage?

16. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I don't think many parents understand this. Teachers are graduates and they are paid to educate children. We are not in the business of providing childcare so that parents can go to work. If people have children, they should be prepared to make arrangement for their care at any time. I don't even think schools are legally obliged to supervise children in school over lunchtime. I think it's still at the discretion of the head. I might be out of date or wrong on that one though!

les25paul likes this.
  17. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Possibly. just like here, you can pay to have them stored!

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ja. it's true.
    there is a defined "WIntertyrechangeoverdeadline" in each seperate German state, and yes, it is law.
    There is then the interesting associated job of "Wintertyrstoragefacilitymanager", who overseas a largish building on the edge of towns or suburbs,where you store your seasonal tyres ready for the next cycle. Many people keep them in storage rather than at home, and the fee for doing this is normally included when you buy the actual things.

Dunno why, I often get all whimsical about anthills when I think about life in Germany...

Last year I asked about Winter tyres for my battered jalopy (in the UK) , and was almost laughed out of the workshop.

strawbs likes this.
  19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I was thinking 'what a good question', then I read skrobson post #58 and learned the answer!

20. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

OH's workplace did the same thing.
    He is going to "work" on setting up some new CD player/electrical gadgety mp3 player/ weird looking odd thing, flip I don't know!

Whereas my teaching workplace is closed again and working from home wasn't mentioned at all...just wished a good and enjoyable weekend!
    I'm going to "schoolwork" on a few bits and bobs, but have a fabulous relaxing time doing it on the sofa in front of the TV!

les25paul and (deleted member) like this.