1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reaction to snow closures

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lucilla90, Mar 1, 2018.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My school was closed for a few days in 1963. When we went back my Mum had to walk over a mile each way through the snow (twice) to get me there and collect me. Girls had a special dispensation to wear trousers which were usually forbidden. The outdoor toilets were frozen solid but we had to use them anyway. I don't think we were tougher then just more miserable I wouldn't have wished it on my child and I don't wish it on my grandchildren.

Besides which teachers probably lived closer and could walk in and I doubt if any had their own small children to take to childminders etc. first as women usually left when they married or, at least, when they had their first child.

2. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

It is ridiculous here. We have a local Facebook group and there is one main high school here. They literally can’t do anything right according to the parents. After Christmas, the school heating broke. The school gave us 5 days notice that it would be shut for 3 extra days. Facebook went mental. All the ‘when we were at school there was never any heating’ (not true), ‘how come they can shut but we can’t take them on holidays’, ‘who will pay for my childcare’ etc. The school provided work on their website for the kids to do - many of the same parents complained about that! ‘It’s their holiday I’m not making them work’ ‘3 extra days won’t hurt’ etc. Yesterday, the school shut at short notice. To be fair, the weather conditions did change dramatically between 7.30 and 8am. Cue over a hundred comments on Facebook about the abject cruelty inflicted by some children having to walk to school and then Home again! Then almost immediately- would they shut today? When would they inform us? Parents last night (these are parents of secondary school children, not infants) saying they were not going to set their alarms and get them up because then it was unfair if the school was shut, they’d just give them the day off anyway. We got an email just before 6am saying school was shut (it’s snowed all night, it wasn’t supposed to) and people are complaining that the email woke them up!!
    So.... tomorrow. The school has a training day. Am waiting for the suggestion that it is cancelled because those pesky teachers have already had 2 days off and what about it the kids education?
    I’m not allowed to post on the group my husband says, because I will say something that may get my child lynched in the Street.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I was of the understanding that it wasnt just about teachers and students being unable to get to school.

In difficult road conditions, keeping the school run off the roads makes things much easier for those who really have to travel. School traffic makes a huge difference in some places to the state of the roads and the volume of traffic.

Parents are in large part to blame for having their weans so dependent on cars to get to school.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I partly agree with you, it's easier to understand the logistics with a staff of 15-20 and know whether they can get in or not.
    However, many of Mrs P's colleagues in the primary schools she worked in came just as far as my secondary colleagues.

bombaysapphire and Sundaytrekker like this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Which, of course, is something the HT is more likely to know than some overarching body like the Local Authority or the police! Which is why it really HAS to be the school that decides.

Pomza and InkyP like this.
  6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

A number of schools around here said they would be shut today because of the forecast snow. I'm guessing that they were basing it on the news reports as the Met Office only predicted light snow about halfway through the day. So far we've had a couple of flakes and it doesn't seem like we'll get any more. I can see why parents at these school would be upset.

7. FrankWolley

And, as was said above, HTs can be 'damned if they do, damned if they don't'...

8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Lots of comments about schools not giving enough notice ie not planning far enough ahead.
    I’m tempted to ask, how far have they planned ahead for the school to be closed bad weather, broken heating, burst water main, outbreak of infectious disease, etc.)
    It’s going to happen to every school at some point, so why no planning?
    (Ahhh, but of course, they don’t know when such an event might happen - just like the weather then)

Oh and there was a report of some East Anglian group complaining about the rail networks over reaction in cancelling trains.
    Schools aren’t the only ones who can’t win.
    Some just like to moan rather than take some responsibility for their own situation.
    ( I’m assuming most parents had c. 5 years and 9 months to prepare for their child attending school.)

cheesypop and JohnJCazorla like this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I work Thursday afternoons (only) at a small village primary out in the sticks. Got a call an hour ago to say - school is currently open, but not sure for how long, roads are treacherous, so don't come in. I'm very glad, as the snow is now bucketing down, and the roads around the school are narrow, windy and won't have been gritted.

Not sure about the children getting there / home either. I'd say about half come from the village (although it's an 'outstanding' school, it's an affluent area, so many go private), the rest from nearby villages and the nearest town, so their journeys could be interesting. But most staff travel much further - and it took the bursar 45 minutes to drive only 6 miles this morning.

frangipani123 and cheesypop like this.
  10. FrankWolley

Just in case anyone thinks that the snow can't be dangerous, can I remind you all of this sad story from a few years ago:

Woman who 'froze to death' in snow after night out didn't have key to get in house
    - Body of 25-year-old Bernadette Lee found by dog walker

- She collapsed in garden of house where she was staying

- Police think she fell and was unable to get up again

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...t-didnt-have-key-to-get-in-house-8460010.html

11. FrankWolley

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The roads are fairly clear here, for now. But it took me 30 mins to do a 10 min drive to the local town to get some food. (I usually eat at school so have nothing much in for a sudden day or two at home)
    Multiplying that time up to drive the usual hour to school and it would take 3 hours!

I love my job and my school is fab...but I'm not that committed!

nomad likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Really?

I normally have enough to survive a zombie apocalypse.

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My daughter is ridiculously conscientious about work (don't know where she gets it from! Oh, I do. Her father!) and foams at the mouth if school is closed and she can't send her beloved sproglets to school!

Seriously. Get them to school so she can go to work. Not even as if it's a job she especially likes.

There would have to be six feet of snow and she'd be saying, "Why did they close the school? It's only a few flakes!"

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Well there is food...but not much you could combine together to make a meal.
    Well in an emergency I could survive, but, given I could get out, tinned tomatoes and lentils can now be snazzed up a bit.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We are open today - there isn't a vast amount of snow but it is frigidly cold.

17. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I was trying to decide ( and feeling guilty ) about whether to drive the 60 miles across the M25 in Surrey and Kent to my university yesterday for an event I was taking part in, when they emailed us about 5 minutes before i was due to set off, saying it was cancelled.

It is much better when someone just makes a decision early on to save people the stress of worrying how they will make a difficult journey.

Ok, so working parents have to make arrangements - that is the world of being a working parent - as mine are 18 and 20, I had 20 years of it and am still on call for them . It goes with the territory. It is one or two days a year - no more than sorting out arrangements for inset days etc.

Last night I was waiting to hear from my 18 year old who was in Camden at a gig - finally heard at 12,30 as he had missed the last train from Waterloo to our local station and I ended up driving through the snow to Surburtan to pick him up at 1. It was 1,40 when we arrived back as we had stopped at McDonalds so he could get some food to soak up the drink. I was just glad he had a good time though, even if I didn’t .

I don’t like driving in the snow. Usually, my husband does the late night driving for emergency child pick ups as I am rubbish at staying awake but he is away for a couple of days as part of his job.

18. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I am one of the few, I expect, who experienced the winter of 1962-63. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20785406 The weather, such as we have today, and worse, went on for months. We began to wonder if it would ever end, and we were walking on snow and ice as high as small garden walls. Schools did remain open and I, after a day's work, five miles from my home, then went on to college to study in a town another 3 miles away from home. I used to leave home for work at 8.45 am and would return home at 11.15 pm. We just had to get on with it. We survived but I wouldn't like to have to do it today, so I thank God I'm now well retired.

19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

@JosieWhitehead others have mentioned experiencing it and I do remember the school being closed.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Makes me wonder what schools would do in a zombie apocalypse. Would they stay open (ie business as usual in Maths set 6 on Friday afternoon) or would they declare a zombie day and let kids experience the innocent pleasures of staggering around the streets devouring each other?

You could imagine the Faecebook reactions from parents.