1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reaction to snow closures

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lucilla90, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Just looking at my local news website, to check out school closures. Horrified by the vehemence of the comments people are leaving!

Teachers, apparently, are lazy blighters who will do anything for extra days off! Also, relatives in Outer Siberia ( or similar) manage to make it to school, so why don’t teachers? No consideration of the fact that in some countries, this ( or worse) is the norm so the whole of society is geared up around it.

I do wonder why some of these characters don’t become teachers themselves, since we have life so easy!

What’s more...guess who would probably be first in the queue to sue the LA if their little Johnny or Suzie so much as scratched themselves due to an accident on school premises.

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

For every person who complains about their school being closed, there will be another who complains if the school is open. There is absolutely no way that you can please them, so it’s not worth trying. Just say what the advice is and repeat.

3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

You were damned if you did and damned if you didn’t.

There are now over 300 schools closed in S Yorkshire and NE Derbyshire which just goes to show how bad the weather is.

InkyP, FrankWolley and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The schools in the villages around here are all open, though some have planned to close at lunchtime.
    I work miles and miles away and our school is closed all day.
    Happy days. :)

Adults round here seem happy enough about the closures later. Think they quite like the excuse to get home safely themselves, or they aren't working outside the home, so it isn't a hassle.

emerald52 likes this.
  5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Don't EVER scroll down to the comments secton. Just don't.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Its probably because they can't get to the airport to sneak their little snot-faces abroad.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

People in this country - or at least a significant % of them - are pathologically jealous of teachers. (Something I haven't noticed in France, strangely).

Best answer is to do as you suggest, and invite them to train as a teacher. Plenty of shortage subjects.

(FWIW when attacked over our holidays, I wasn't defensive: 'Yes', I said, 'it's great - break up in July, back in September. Weeks off in October, February and May, two weeks at Christmas & Easter....' Wound the b*ggers up beautifully...)

8. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I think a big issue is the fact that it's up to individual schools. I've gone past three schools that are closed and two that are open in order to get to the one that I work at. Now we all understand that each HT will have made the decision based on the individual site conditions / staffing etc. but I can see why the public interpret this as "those teachers must be lazy". If the decision was made by a more central authority (no idea who!?) for each area, it might make more sense to the public.

sbkrobson likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

A small primary school where, say, most pupils and most staff live within walking distance can open where a secondary school, most of whose pupils come in by bus (or train) and many teachers live 30 minutes (or more) drive away, won't.

Anyway, with Academies, Free Schools, Faith Schools etc. what authority could decide for these independent schools?

phlogiston and nomad like this.
  10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I'm supply at a through academy, buildings connected and share facilities. Yesterday the primary was shut from 7am but the 'big school' hung on until 12:30. Presumably both HTs can justify their individual decision should the Executive Head bother to ask them from the comfort of his mansion.

I suppose this is one of the reasons why Head Teachers are paid so much. To make an impossible-to-please-everyone decision (which could be proved 'wrong' within an hour).

11. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Yeah, I can understand why it happens as it does, I'm just trying to empathise with the irate parents for whom it doesn't make sense for one school to be closed when a neighbouring one isn't. I know there's no relevant authority that covers all schools anymore, but if it was, say, the police or the Met office that decided rather than individual heads, maybe there wouldn't be such backlash.

ilovesooty and nomad like this.
  12. FrankWolley

It isn't going to happen.

13. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

What sort of humourless individual has forgotten their own snow days and begrudges their own offspring from having a couple? Good grief it isn't the end of the world.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  14. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

For every snow day/closed day, another day should be added on to the week before summer hols.

That’s what happens with us. Guess how often schools close in SK...

15. FrankWolley

I guess if one knows in advance, that's OK. But I often went away the first day of the summer holidays, and (if this was every suggested), I suspect many others would too.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I am not working today. One of the advantages of retirement.

However, local news is of a school bus stuck after skidding on ice. Maybe complaining parents should consider that possibility for their kids if their school remains open.

phlogiston and emerald52 like this.
  17. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I simply cannot remember having a snow day at school but since my time at school included 1963 that was a very long time ago.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1962–63_in_the_United_Kingdom

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I was at primary school in 1963. Cannot recall the school being closed. I do recall waking up to icicles on the inside of the bedroom window.

Alice K likes this.
  19. FrankWolley

How many pupils and, crucially, teachers lived more than a walk away though?

20. FrankWolley

Woman phoned in to R5lIve earlier saying she'd 'pranged' her 2 week old car going to work yesterday...