1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Re-Writing CV after Problems with prior manager(s)

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by SARYA, Sep 24, 2019.

1. SARYA

SARYA New commenter

Hello,

I need to get help re-writing my Resume as a Teacher with 15 years Experience who has been out of the system for a couple of years.

Despite having built up a great reputation in outstanding schools over that time, I had some bad experiences in schools that were very poorly staffed/organized after the Austerity period when they removed that bar & allowed anyone to teach. Of Course, Management will say that I was the one who did not meet standards. I am looking to find what I can and cannot put on my resume - without dropping any honesty standards?

Is there anyone who can guide me through this with experience of interviewing etc please? (I do not want to load my resume onto this site as too public and may have questionable statements on it).

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I'm writing as someone who has experience of recruitment and interviewing.

Your tag "explaining employment tribunal", implies you left a school on either bad terms or a union or legal term had to get you out of one. If that is the case, you should have an agreed reference.

Questionable statements on a resume? Meaning what? This school is rubbish/Management accused me of this/I was treated badly? No, never on a resume. Mainly because a thorough HT will get their HR team to trawl through the remarks, contact schools, and find out exactly why you are writing these things. Just put down where you were, what you taught, and for how long. Leave gaps and you'll be asked what you were doing.

I'm sorry you feel that you were badly treated by schools, and that they will be vindictive and say it was you. The standard question "why did you leave..." will come up in an interview. You'll have to be careful what you say, without heaping a load onto the school.

3. SARYA

SARYA New commenter

Hi, Thanks a lot for your response and expertise. It is waht I have been gong with and can see it makes sense. I shall apply your tips more thoroughly.
    Regards

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

When answering the question ‘Reason for leaving’ which crops up on many application forms, you should always put something positive - e.g. to gain experience of teaching an older/younger age group/to gain promotion/to take on a more pastoral role etc.

Theo Griff has written two books about applying for a teaching job and interviews - well worth reading.

Piranha and CWadd like this.
  5. muddyjudiff

muddyjudiff New commenter

I'm going to shine a little ray of light here - I've been in fixed-term contracts for three years. It has never come up as an issue or been questioned. A lot of Heads know that schools can't afford to give UPS teachers fixed-term contracts. (I don't know if you're UPS but if you're UPS 4 + this could be interpreted as a reason).

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not that I know what UPS 4+ means, but you are as expensive as you make yourself. If you are out of a job, pay is negotiable as long as they offer no less than the bottom of the main scale. In today's market, you would need to make a very strong impression to be offered UPR.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

For the most part, the CV will have dates, school and subject taught and responsibilities. Leaving reasons could include, short term contract, getting a job nearer home and good old "broadening experience".
    In the last decade, we have moved away from teachers finding long term jobs to a rather more fluid situation where many people haven't stayed anywhere for long.