1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

re welfare meeting

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by fabulous1, Jan 18, 2012.

1. I've only been posting on Tes for 2 weeks as I'm in rather a difficult situation and I've found everybody's support and advice has kept me going. It's quite a long story - involving a dodgy lesson observation and 3 months with the TA from hell ! Well, here goes - I've taught for 18 years and class myself as a good teacher. Over the past 3 years, I've found the going tough particularly as I have had depression/ anxiety. I find it hard to 'jump through the hoops' of observation and raise my game - my head wants everyone to be 'outstanding'. In November I had an 'inadequate' observation from my Deputy Headteacher who said I wasnt commanding enough. Because I've had other issues in school, I knew what the implications would be i.e informal capability. The upshot is after much soul searching I told my head that I was going to leave the profession- possibly seek TA jobs.This wasn't a knee jerk reaction- I've been thinking about getting out for some time. Things seemed to quieten down- then after Xmas Hols, I was called into a meeting to discuss a 'support package' - thus I ended up starting the thing I was dreading most!!! Then last Wednesday, after a horrible afternoon with my TA who seems to gain pleasure in pointing out all my mistakes in front of colleagues, I had a massive anxiety attack (at home, thankfully not in front of the children) and my doctor has signed me off for 2 weeks. Now I have been asked to attend a welfare meeting next week with head and HR - I'm taking union rep with me ( they are supportive but not exactly dynamic - I suppose they see this sort of thing often) I'm quite worried about this, as I dont know what to expect. Has anyone else attended one of these meetings ? It is sad because I know ultimately, my career in teaching is over - a job which, once over, I absolutely adored- but I do want to leave with some dignity- not be hauled over the coals in a capabiltiy procedure- any advice or support,as always, would be most welcome

2. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Fabulous, sorry to read your story - I can't add anything except give you a huge hug
    [​IMG]
    and say well done for not buckling under this bullying behaviour. Can I suggest that you also post on the Career Clinic board? They have professional advisors giving very sound advice from what I've read.
    Is your union rep the school/local one? If possible take your regional/divisional/county rep with you instead, as they carry more clout and are taken more seriously.
    I think we can all empathise with you about TAs from hell - they are jealous, spiteful creatures who are insecure and usually have few friends. On the other hand, the TAs from heaven are worth their weight in gold!
    Hope you are feeling better soon!
    Joni x