1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE visits in Essex

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LisaBE, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Our whole school topic next term is 'light and dark', and it obviously lends itself nicely to a number of religious festivals.
    I would like to take the children on a trip so they become familiar with settings other than Christian churches. However, I'm really struggling to find anywhere in Essex (or even at a push in Suffolk) to go. I was hoping to find a Hindu temple to take them to, but all of the information I find on the internet is really ropey, or just takes me to bonkers forums rather than actual temple websites.
    Does anyone have any ideas or contacts in the Hindu, and possibly Sikh, Buddhist, Muslim worlds etc. in this area?
    Thanks!

2. Our whole school topic next term is 'light and dark', and it obviously lends itself nicely to a number of religious festivals.
    I would like to take the children on a trip so they become familiar with settings other than Christian churches. However, I'm really struggling to find anywhere in Essex (or even at a push in Suffolk) to go. I was hoping to find a Hindu temple to take them to, but all of the information I find on the internet is really ropey, or just takes me to bonkers forums rather than actual temple websites.
    Does anyone have any ideas or contacts in the Hindu, and possibly Sikh, Buddhist, Muslim worlds etc. in this area?
    Thanks!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Any of the children from these faiths so you could ask parents?

4. Unfortunately no! A very white, middle class village school so not much opportunity there!

5. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

http://www.harlowjewishcommunity.org.uk/

Previous schools I've worked in have visited here.

6. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

7. You may wish to contact the Sikh Education Service on 07968 143546, where a Sikh Education Officer can visit and carry out Sikh Education Workshops / Assemblies in school (including a virtual tour of the Gurdwara) ; this is a countrywide offering and suggested fees are very reasonable.