1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE: Use of technicians in Ict lessons

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Chirality, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Chirality

Chirality New commenter

Technicians can't be in classrooms AND prepping at the same time. If they were in even one class a day their workload would mount up.My take on it is that if it's ICT then it's in their remit. However as already stated thay cant do that role and be in classes. Whole school technicians still cant divide by binary fission :) or possibly be Masters of all disciplines within a school. I wouldn't for insatnce let a an ICT tech near my chemistry store , nor would I touch their computers , smart boards etc.

Most teaching staff seem to be computer savvy nowadays and as for TA's running a mile from computers ....perhaps they've had no training ? It would be unfair to pressurise someone into a task they're not competent in.

Senior managers are often oblivious to the work that goes on "behind the scenes" by technicians in general.

I work in a school of over 1000 pupils each doing Science 3 times a week. Practicals occur in 4 out of 5 lessons generally. I rarely am in a class. I don't mind demonstrating things occassionally like the autoclave or how to use a colorimeter etc but as for being stuck in a class ,,,no way,

We have one ICT tech for the whole school.

The answer is ,....shed loads of money and new staff ....well we can dream can't we ?

2. danlee

danlee New commenter

I can't see how they could be used? What sort of support would you be wanting from them? I generally get everything sorted before the lesson so would not need them in the actual lessons. If you are talking about them getting involved in the delivery of the lesson then that's what TAs are for. I work very closely with my TA and she is very skilled at her job.

3. Chirality

Chirality New commenter

I generally get everything sorted before the lesson ....... wish there were more like you lol