1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Re: Uploading photos

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by cissy3, Feb 18, 2016.

1. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I see some posters are apparently able to post pics from their computers, but so far I have been unsuccessful in my attempts. Does it require uploading pics to a photo sharing place (like Flickr) first?

I have no probs inserting photos etc from the interwebz! :)

Not a major problem in the great scheme of things, but just wondered if anyone could advise.

Edit: And I suppose if you posted pics from Facebook, it would then reveal all your personal info from there too (?)

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@cissy3

I'm going to try to upload a picture from my computer and will show you step by step what I do.

Click on Upload a File
    upload_2016-2-18_17-59-30.png

This will take you to a dialogue box
    upload_2016-2-18_18-0-57.png

Select where you want to upload from on your computer.

I've selected the penguins photo from the sample picture library - you'll see it has Penguins in the file name box.

upload_2016-2-18_18-2-47.png

Click on Open
    upload_2016-2-18_18-5-5.png

Penguins.jpg

Underneath the reply box I can see all of the images I've downloaded for this message.

I clicked on the full image box and the penguin photo appeared in this reply box - (showing above).

upload_2016-2-18_18-9-26.png

Does that method work for you? Try it! :)

cissy3 likes this.
  3. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Wow @marlin thanks for the quick reply! You're such a help on here

I have tried the above method before, but keep getting an error message/ ''there was a problem uploading your file''/ just after I click on 'open' in the last bit of the instructions you posted!

There is probably something simple and obvious that I'm failing to see, as was the case last time you came to my aid :D so I will persist!!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

It could be that the image is too big. Do you have the penguin photo in your sample picture library to try?

Another way to post a photo is to copy and paste it into Word (re-size if you want to at this point) and then copy and paste into the reply box.

cissy3 likes this.
  5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Hi again!

No. I don't have the same sort of 'library' as you, so no penguin pic!

Re size, I have tried a number of different ones, and also the 'sample' pictures (sunsets etc)
    I have also tried copying to 'OpenOffice' (don't have Word) to no avail.

Perhaps my little netbook is just too old (like me) :D

I am on WindowsXP, and Firefox.

But thanks again @marlin I will try again. (Got to go in a min so may not try again for a while) You need a special TES award for services to this forum, and for patience!

marlin likes this.
  6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I too have the same problem uploading from my computer (and no, in case size doesn't make a difference)
    So I don't do it.

There is an easy way which works for me every time (unless it is a HUGE picture)
    I open the picture I want in a photo viewer (in my case that would be windows own photo viewer) I right click on the picture and then select copy
    And then I paste it into the reply pane.
    That works with most online photos as well

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

If I view my penguin picture and do as you say (right click, copy), when I come to the reply box paste isn't an option. It doesn't work if I right click it as a thumbnail either. I can copy and paste an image from Google.

cissy3 likes this.
  8. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

It doesn't work for me either @Didactylos4

When I right click, it doesn't even give me an option to 'copy'.
    Strange, because that's how I copy from tinternet

9. Didactylos4

OK
    I'll try with that image then
    I won't bother with screen-prints (unless you insist?) I'll just follow the process as described earlier
    And you're right paste isn't an option in the right-click list.
    I blame my early training in the pre-mouse days.
    Try it with Ctrl+V
    upload_2016-2-18_23-17-22.jpeg

I'm so used to shortcut keys that it's automatic

10. Didactylos4

That's very odd
    I get this in both XP and Win 7
    upload_2016-2-18_23-29-22.jpeg

This is win 7 btw

11. Didactylos4

Though the size block kills me if I try posting a full size screen dump

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter

No - can't do it that way either.

13. Didactylos4

Interesting
    And both of you can do it with web pictures? :confused:
    When I have time tomorrow I will make sure that we are talking from the same hymn sheet by screen-dumping every stage of the process I use.
    It might show up any errors I have made or, indeed, where the differences lie so that the techies on TES can see them.
    Can't hurt

14. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@Didactylos4

Using right click copy and paste directly from the RHS website:

[​IMG]

Using right click copy and then Ctrl + V to paste directly from the RHS website:

[​IMG]

15. Didactylos4

OK then
    This should be pretty simple if the file size limit doesn't trip me up.
    First select the relevant picture on your computer.
    These usually appear as large thumbnails (or file names) in your Pictures or Photos folders (DO NOT try and copy them from that view.)
    Instead you can either double-click on the thumbnail and the picture will open in the default viewer or as I have here right-click on the file and select an appropriate viewer. The best one in Win 7 (as used here) is windows photo viewer (in XP use fax and photo viewer if you have it)
    upload_2016-2-19_10-25-34.jpeg

once it is open right-click on the picture and you should get this

upload_2016-2-19_10-26-59.jpeg

select copy

next post

16. Didactylos4

then type your message or whatever and use Crtl+v

upload_2016-2-19_10-32-57.jpeg

For obvious reasons I can't screen print that action but the same process has been used for both these posts (and every other picture I post from my computer)

So if that doesn't work for you can you tell me at what point it fails and somebody (possibly me o_O) will hopefully find a solution

17. marlin

marlin Star commenter

OK - I followed your instructions and got to this:
    upload_2016-2-19_10-41-8.png

I have clicked copy and have typed this message.
    Ctrl V - nothing happens at all.

upload_2016-2-19_10-45-59.png

The above is a screen shot that shows paste is not available on right click - it is grey.

I was able to insert that screen shot using Ctrl V though and can use your method to insert the picture into a Word document.

cissy3 likes this.
  18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Trying Ctrl+V Windows 8. Chrome. Doesn't work.

Tried with Windows Photo Viewer and with Photo Gallery. I get the Copy but the Ctrl+V doesn't give anything.

I can upload a file picture that's not too big

reflejos mural.jpg

Murals on ugly blocks of flats - great, eh?

Or I can in PhotoGallery re-size a large photo file and then upload

20160209_101353 (1024x576).jpg

Trying to upload that photo above without re-sizing it would never work I know from experience.

Can't Ctrl+V the penguins either. Only upload.

penguins.jpeg

cissy3 likes this.
  19. Didactylos4

That is a big puzzle because it rules out shortcut key blocking due to keyboard drivers and also rules out TES killing off the function due to constraints within your system.
    I'm going to have to see if I can now stop mine from working. (to see if I can then restart it)
    Unless TES readers/techs come up with an answer (ever hopeful)

20. Didactylos4

upload_2016-2-19_11-20-26.jpeg

Well that is one way
    if I mess about with the permissions attached to the photo and work as a user rather than a user/administrator on my computer (DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME*) I can block the effect of Crtl + V

I can get a similar effect by changing my security settings.

*Unless you know exactly what you are doing

So it could be down to set-up on individual computers :(:confused:o_O