1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Re think on assessment?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Msz, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I could only read part of the article as I'm not a subscriber. Does it say what the changes are?

3. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Senior commenter

Well, I hope the announcement arrives before Wednesday, when I am due to deliver CPD to my colleagues in order to clarify the current mess that is Primary phase assessment. P*ss up in a brewery situation.

Talk about lions led by donkeys (although that is an insult to donkeys).

4. drek

drek Lead commenter

As in previous years instead of cancelling an irrelevant CPD it will have to be done, to 'count' towards directed hours because our managers no longer know how much time it takes to do each bit or re-planning and resourcing every new initiative.

5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Senior commenter

It won't be irrelevant Drek, as we will have the opportunity to vent our spleen in a healthy and collegiate atmosphere whilst trying to second guess the 'next big idea' (written on the back of a fag packet by someone from the DFE).

drek likes this.
  6. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I can't read this article-what does it say?

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This is the part accessible if unsubscribed....

'TOUGH new tests and assessments for England’s primary school children may be scrapped in a wide-ranging review after opposition from unions and head teachers in what many will see as a significant government U-turn.

The change is expected to be announced by the education secretary, Nicky Morgan, this week and will be seized on by critics as a reversal of one of her predecessor Michael Gove’s key reforms.

Concerns have been expressed that the proposed regime, which involved assessments of children at the age of five and seven, followed by demanding tests at 11, would cause undue stress to pupils and teachers.

In a speech at the centre-right think tank Policy Exchange on Tuesday, Morgan will announce that the framework for testing children in primary schools is to be reviewed.'

8. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

9. drek

drek Lead commenter

And your link has the dfe thanking 39 Shanghai maths teachers for teaching in our schools!
    Are these the elite teachers referred to in the the other post?

Well the data will show those 39 teachers making absolute leaps and bounds, so next year we will see armies of educators no doubt.

Now I see why teach first is going to lose some of its budget if the government is directly sponsoring this overseas 'pilot' recruitment drive. Looks like a bit of forward planning going on huh?