1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Re-telling a story year 1/2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kazbuckets, Aug 25, 2011.

1. My school has just amalgamated with an infants. I am trying to layer targets and steps for year 1 and 2 and i don't really have much experience.
    The target is to 'Retell a story' would this be one they have read themselves or could it be one that is read to them. I appreciate that these are very different skills but i am unsure of expectations in year 1. The overall target is retrieval.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. My school has just amalgamated with an infants. I am trying to layer targets and steps for year 1 and 2 and i don't really have much experience.
    The target is to 'Retell a story' would this be one they have read themselves or could it be one that is read to them. I appreciate that these are very different skills but i am unsure of expectations in year 1. The overall target is retrieval.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It could be a story they are familiar with or one read by the teacher.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would say it is one read by the teacher that they can then retell. Things like 'We're going on a bear hunt' or traditional fairy tales.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Perhaps if you're looking at layered targets you might have for example Yr 1 can retell start, some middle and the end of a story whereas in Yr 2 they should be able to retell story using full sentences and identify various parts?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Nooooooo! Retelling a story is about knowing the story generally, not learning it work for word by rote.

Also it doesn't matter if they miss odd bits as long as the main structure is there. They move on to adding in their own bits and eventually creating their own, but this would not be a 'higher' level in terms of targets.

A lower target might be 'with picture clues' as an aid. But really a higher level just means a more complex story.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Minniminx I'm obviously bad at explaining what I actually mean as I was thinking along similar lines.
    I was not suggesting they 'retold the story by rote' but were able to tell the story in the correct order i e beg., middle and end and then to develop the middle section and then of course move on to using those ideas as a framework for their own.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

In reception the target is Retell narratives in the correct sequence,
    drawing on the language patterns of stories (
    reading) & Retell stories, ordering
    events using story
    language (
    S&L)
    In Y1 it is Retell stories, ordering events using story
    language (S&L)

It can be any story the child knows and can tell

9. Thank you very much!