1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE teacher needs deptartmental help!!!!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by BuryFCA1, Mar 8, 2011.

1. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

I am 29 years old and in my 4th year as a teacher now in an inner city school in the North West. I like my school and I like my life that I have because I enjoy my work there however I dont feel as if I can progress any further in the school and I am quite ambitious. I dont want to leave the school as I know only too well that the grass is not always greener. My Head of Dept is Mrs K and she has recently been off for 4 months with stress and has now returned with a vengeance however....
    Mrs K will not take charge of the subject exams as she is nervous of being in the hall with over 100 kids so muggins here ends up doing it.
    Mrs K does not offer any help to a supply teacher in our dept and muggins here offers all the help and support .
    I want to improve my teaching and learning however Mrs K constantly refuses to let me observe her as she 'does not like having adults in her room'.
    Mrs K is also now taking pupils out of mine and other teachers of our subject's lessons and asking the pupils if they like me and the other teachers and if they like their lessons. All this after having 4 months off and leaving me carrying the can in her absence (yes, I attended all the Head of Dept meeting and ran the dept in Mrs K's absence - with no thanks!)
    Last year I produced the best GCSE results in our department and I want to progress but feel as if Mrs K is holding me back and using me. My biggest problem is that Mrs K is best friends with the deputy head and is the deputy head's puppet! What do I do...
    1. Go to the Head (who is retiring this summer) behind Mrs K and the deputy heads back and discuss with her that I feel as if Mrs K is holding me back and using me as a dept gopher. But, this could potentially ruin my career at such an early stage as rumour has it that the deputy head who is Mrs K's best friend is due to take over as Head in the summer.
    2. Look for other jobs and dont say a word.
    3. Just sit back and enjoy my life and not worry about it. Take it as a compliment that Mrs K trusts me to do the things I do for her and the dept.

2. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

I am 29 years old and in my 4th year as a teacher now in an inner city school in the North West. I like my school and I like my life that I have because I enjoy my work there however I dont feel as if I can progress any further in the school and I am quite ambitious. I dont want to leave the school as I know only too well that the grass is not always greener. My Head of Dept is Mrs K and she has recently been off for 4 months with stress and has now returned with a vengeance however....
    Mrs K will not take charge of the subject exams as she is nervous of being in the hall with over 100 kids so muggins here ends up doing it.
    Mrs K does not offer any help to a supply teacher in our dept and muggins here offers all the help and support .
    I want to improve my teaching and learning however Mrs K constantly refuses to let me observe her as she 'does not like having adults in her room'.
    Mrs K is also now taking pupils out of mine and other teachers of our subject's lessons and asking the pupils if they like me and the other teachers and if they like their lessons. All this after having 4 months off and leaving me carrying the can in her absence (yes, I attended all the Head of Dept meeting and ran the dept in Mrs K's absence - with no thanks!)
    Last year I produced the best GCSE results in our department and I want to progress but feel as if Mrs K is holding me back and using me. My biggest problem is that Mrs K is best friends with the deputy head and is the deputy head's puppet! What do I do...
    1. Go to the Head (who is retiring this summer) behind Mrs K and the deputy heads back and discuss with her that I feel as if Mrs K is holding me back and using me as a dept gopher. But, this could potentially ruin my career at such an early stage as rumour has it that the deputy head who is Mrs K's best friend is due to take over as Head in the summer.
    2. Look for other jobs and dont say a word.
    3. Just sit back and enjoy my life and not worry about it. Take it as a compliment that Mrs K trusts me to do the things I do for her and the dept.

3. I've sent you a pm.
    WM

4. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

One suggestion that you have not lsited but you can do whatever else you decide -

Pray!

My son is an actor. Some years ago he played the part of the angel Gabriel in a drama about the life of Christ. The director wanted him to wear a flesh-coloured body-suit and huge wings made of feathers. He was absolutely miserable because he said it just didn't work. But the director was a very difficult character and didn't take kindly to disaffection.

My son has a strong prayer life and just put the problem 'At God's Feet.' Two things happened. He got more patience and a ,pre philosophical attitude. And the director himself realised that it wasn't a great costume and modified it. My son eventually wore a fairly traditional, very simple white costume. It worked fine.

The play was very moving and the way my son managed to combine a gravity and wisdom which was timneless with a sweetness and playfulness that was childlike was very beautiful. I am sure the fact that he was praying a lot helped - which means that the problem actually helped him achieve a better result.

A;s [ray for Mrs K and try to understand where she's coming from. See if you can get satisfaction and feel you are fulfilling your ambition by serving the department and supporting her. As far as spiritual development is concerned it sounds like an advanced course.

I had a boss once who didn't like me. She used to criticise anything and everything I did. The way I found to survive was to 'reword' whatever she said in my head, before replying. I would re-word it in a way that was friendly and kind. Then reply to that. It was a fantastic strategy and eventually stopped her attacking me.

I guess that she may be feeling pretty shaky and inadequate at the moment. If you can give her a feeling of well-being and confidence then her attitude to you will change too.

Meditate on peace each morning and try to fill yourself with it so you can offer that to her and to all those in the department each day. Inner peace is a strength that somehow prevents stress and hostile attacks from touching you. I have such a different day when I have meditated well in the morning, even if only for a few minutes.

I think that all of life is for spiritual progress.the outer problems are like the weights that athletes use to build muscles. We can't make inner progress without having lot s of tricky challenges and difficulties to struggle with. So you can almost welcome this kind of thing as an opportunity for spiritual growth.

Do you belong to a supportive spiritual or religious community? Do you have a strong prayer-life? if not, try to work on that corner of your life, too.
    There are different ways of being ambitious. Spiritual progress is just as important as progressing in your outer career.

But it's no good asking a little child to carry a very heavy weight. it will be crippled. So If the situation starts to affect your health and happiness, then look for another job. Don't let it diminish you . It may be just too much for you to deal with and affect your love of the subject and the profession. Don't stay if its starting to do that - but if you can, use it as an exercise for deepening wisdom, widening your heart and learning more about life. If you can, rise above the problem and just radiate peace, strength and happiness. It will nourish the students and strengthen Mrs K as well as enable you to grow in many unexpected ways. Good Luck and God Bless.

5. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Your options are 2 or 3.
    You should realise that very few people climb the ladder where they are. Most people leave their current school and move to a new one in order to gain a promotion.
    Mrs K's difficulties though have benefitted you - you can show in applications/ interviews your readiness or head of dept with all the things you have done
    - attended HoD mtgs
    - started exams
    - excellent exam results

6. Are there any other options for progression in your school outside your department - Head House, Year, G&T etc?

Maybe you could sit down with your Head and explain that covering for your boss has made you ambitious to progress and you want to use the skills you've developed. Be positive about your reasons and avoid slating your boss behind her back - it's unlikely to get you very far.

7. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

and in addition to that try to avoid being seen as being capable of back-stabbing. People tend to know each other well in eduction between different schools and local authorities and you don't want to come across as being someone who is bitchy and doesn't support their head of department.
    Do as Pablo and the others have said and twist it to say that covering has made you realise that you would like more responsibility, etc, etc.
    From the sounds of it she may feel threatened because you did such a good job. she might have expected everything to go ****-up and obviously it didn't!

8. If what you say is true, Mrs K really isn't capable of being HoD. But she's got the job, it's her duty to do it to the best of her ability.
    I don't think she's under any obligation to allow you to observe her lessons, and she might be rather embarrassed about them. She's got the right to check on your lessons, however, because she's the superior.
    She is using you, but she's got a right, even a duty to use you. Her job is to get the best results she can, with the material she has. You are a valuable asset.
    However you're too big to hold. Apply for other jobs. However there's no need to hurry, be as picky as you want. At interview say you covered for the HoD who was away due to stress, and the reason you are applying is that you think you deserve a HoD role.
    Mrs K might well resign, but I wouldn't try to give her a push. It might backfire, she'll have her private reasons for trying to keep her job, and it's not your job to appoint staff.