1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE SIAS Inspection

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Grace3784, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Following on from our Ofsted inspection, we are getting an RE SIAS inspection in a weeks time. As RE co-ordinator i will be involved in a meeting with inspector. I have never had any experience with inspectors (just observing my lessons) and have no idea what they will want to see, ask me etc.
    Has anyone got any experience and can give me some kind of ideaof the meeting or general inspection?
    Thanks,
    Grace

2. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Hi Grace
    I have had extensive experience of working with Inspectors/Advisors like this, both as a head of department and then senior leader. (From the acronym, I assume your visit is from your local authority's 'Inspection and Advisory Service'.)
    Their role in this capacity is to assist you in evaluating the quality of teaching and learnming in your department, help you to identify priorities for development and agree with you any support they can give to enable your department to progress.
    They are likely to want to look through your development plans with you, look at schemes of work, strengths and weaknesses in teaching in your department and help you to identify what you need to do and how you need to do it.
    I have invariably found these people to be friendly and supportive. Yes, they can be incisive - but that's what they are paid to do, to really help you to get to the issues - but I think you will find that it is an encouraging and rewarding session.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No, SIAS is: Statutory Inspection of Anglican Schools.

They will ask how you teach RE, how you teach children to have empathy and understanding for other faiths, how you link faith to everyday life, that sort of thing.

They will also ask in the school, so possibly you, about links with local churches and involvement in community faith activities.

This framework should help you and put your mind at rest.
    http://www.churchofengland.org/media/1157118/framework%20september%2009.pdf

4. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Thanks, minnieminx! In which case I stand coorected and cab't help. I know absolutely zero about these types of inspections!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL If you have never worked in a church school, which is entirely possible, you wouldn't! SIAS inspections often follow shortly after Ofsted.

6. Thank you both so much (altough i got seriously worried when i began reading Gardening Leaves!!) Yes, we've just had our ofsted inspection and i thought i could relax now but silly me!
    Worried about the linking with local church but will start to prepare some answers.
    Thank you Minnieminx.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Presumably, you do go to the church connected with your school sometimes? Or the vicar comes to assembly? But anything or anyone else vaguely Christian is good as well.

8. cazbeline

cazbeline New commenter

I made a prayer tree for the wall, where children could write prayers/ ideas/ worries which we thought about in WORSHIP - we assemble to worship, not an assembly. The inspector liked that, also get a display or two up. The diocese should be available to help, also there is a list of questions they may ask floating around on a website somewhere.
    If you have survived Ofsted you should be fine. The last poster is right - it is perfectly normal for a church school to have an inspection soon after Ofsted, it is NOT an indication of failure.

Good luck[​IMG]

9. Don't forget 'awe and wonder' - vital to show what you are doing to foster children's spirituality (in the wider sense).

• Ask your Head to see the toolkit - the "SEF" that goes to the Diocese so you know what has been said about the school. That may help you... (Did you not write the RE section? PS only VA schools have RE inspected per se - if you are in a VC school then they will be looking at RE differently ...PM me if like)
    • Check the last SIAS report and ensure you have implemented any development points - or at least whip up a quick action plan if you haven't!
    • Ring your Diocesan RE adviser and ask for a bit of support - maybe a visit if there is time
    • It is not an RE inspection - it is a Church school inspection - so it is not all on you (if you're in a VC school it is not much on you), but worship, ethos, leadership and governance too.
    • Don't panic! Is the SIAS date clear yet? - at this late stage of term it might slip into the first couple of weeks of next term or it might squeak into the end of this one.
    PS I'm a bit horrified you haven't been prepped by your head on this one - what did Leadership and management get under SIAS the last time?? Doesn't sound brilliant if as a staff this has not been something you have been working towards.

10. Yes, we've had big meeting this week in school.
    SEF is completed, RE policies checked & done.
    Last SIAS report read and all development points are covered. Vicar has been in for the day to chat.
    Not too worried about paper work as i've collected evidence of everything etc. Inspection is Monday and I'm in for first meeting at 9am. Worried about the meeting really in case i freeze!
    Thank you for all your help and if you think of anything new please post a message again.
    Thanks

11. Then I'd stop worrying if I were you! Good luck...
    SOB