1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

re: School Uniform

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sf123, Jul 20, 2011.

1. There is going to be a big drive in my school next academic year on children wearing the correct school uniform everyday, as well as for P.E. I wanted some ideas on incentives that I could use with my class to wear the correct school uniform. An initial idea was to keep a record of children who wear the correct uniform everyday. Then every half term giving them a raffle ticket with their name on to place in a box. This would be done every half term. By the end of the year two names would be picked out from the box (one boy, one girl) and they would be given some sort of prize. Not sure about idea as to keep a record every week might be time consuming. Any other ideas would be much appreciated - thanks

2. There is going to be a big drive in my school next academic year on children wearing the correct school uniform everyday, as well as for P.E. I wanted some ideas on incentives that I could use with my class to wear the correct school uniform. An initial idea was to keep a record of children who wear the correct uniform everyday. Then every half term giving them a raffle ticket with their name on to place in a box. This would be done every half term. By the end of the year two names would be picked out from the box (one boy, one girl) and they would be given some sort of prize. Not sure about idea as to keep a record every week might be time consuming. Any other ideas would be much appreciated - thanks

3. Raffle tickets are not expensive! Give a ticket to every child in full uniform every day. Have smaller prizes every half term. This will make it immediate and exciting for the children, otherwise it is irrelevant to the majority of the children, who will assume it will be won by the school swot.

4. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

It's the parents you need to be addressing, it's not the child's fault if their parents haven't bought them the correct things to wear. Frequent reminders generally to all parents of uniform expectations should be coming from the Head, with then personalised letters to parents of those not in proper uniform. These letters should include some ideas of support,e.g. does the council have a fund for parents on very low incomes to buy uniform. In my last school, we had a discretionary fund that the Head could use to purchase uniform for children who otherwise wouldn't have any (or to buy the uniform of the school we were doing a managed transfer to!).
    Does the school have a 2nd hand shop, perhaps the PTA could get one running if there isn't to help reduce the cost of clothes?

5. I agree - it's not the children's choice most of the time. SMT need to be very active in making the parents aware of the requirements and ensuring that they understand the expectation that all children should wear uniform. In a previous school, we held on to lost property for a year, sent out reminders to parents to come and check for lost items, put it all out on the stage for the children to have a good look, then anything unclaimed after a year was either chucked or sold as second hand.

6. Thanks 'daybyday' for your idea. I like it and will probably go with that. Really appreciate it

7. Interesting idea, rewarding children for doing what they should be doing anyway.

8. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

In our school, if ever we complain about some aspect of kids not wearing proper school uniform, our head won't do anything about it on the grounds that school uniform is not enforceable until Secondary school, and thus he can't 'legally' complain...... is he right, does anyone know?

9. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

A common myth, but it is indeed just that. I think it originates from the fact that primary schools are not able to follow the secondary model of simply sending children home if they are not in correct uniform. However, there is no difference between secondary and primary in terms of being able to enforce uniform - it's perfectly permissable both to point it out to parents, and also to use sanctions.
    Ask your head to show you where this "law" about primary uniform actually is.