1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE scheme of work

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by suzcunny, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hello all
    Can anyone please recommend a good scheme of work for teaching RE in a non church primary school?
    I have looked at the Here I am scheme but I don't think it covers other religions? Please correct me if I am wrong, Also I am not sure if non Catholic schools can access it.
    Thank you in advance

2. Hello all
    Can anyone please recommend a good scheme of work for teaching RE in a non church primary school?
    I have looked at the Here I am scheme but I don't think it covers other religions? Please correct me if I am wrong, Also I am not sure if non Catholic schools can access it.
    Thank you in advance

3. reader42

reader42 New commenter

Which LA are you in? Is there any SOW material available from your SACRE? Here I am is designed for Roman Catholic VA schools

4. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

I agree, it does depend on your LEA agreed syllabus - but if you are looking for some examples to get ideas - try the Birmingham agreed syllabus link. www.birmingham-asc.org.uk/resource_schemes_units.php There may be some useful ideas here.

xx

5. Hiya the problem is our LA syllabus, which we have followed for years, has been slated by an ofstead inspector who did a subject inspection last summer.
    He suggested moving away from the syllabus completely and going back to QCA and teaching though a starter question and have it as a learning journey taught through themes instead of separate religions.
    So for example Why are sacred texts important? Children come up with questions to ask to find the answer to that question and you lead them for example. What is the Bible, who reads it when is it read etc What is the Torah?, who uses it and so on and so on. Then you plan from these questions.
    My problem is in my opinion you need something to follow eg objectives and schemes of work and I can't seem to find anything to help?
    I did think Here I am was for Catholic schools only just liked the way it was taught in themes rather than individual objectives.
    : )

6. Will have a look at the Birmingham agreed syllabus thank you. I have
    looked at the Hertfordshire one which looks really good, is it possible to use another syllabus from the internet like this it is something I have never looked into before?

7. nigiollabhui

nigiollabhui New commenter

Hi,
    the new Essex agreed syllabus isn't too bad either and is more in line with the national curriculum. It does suggest teaching through learning enquiries also.