1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Re-Post- Teaching in Australia (from an Aussie)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by aussie_teacher_nt, Apr 12, 2017.

  1. aussie_teacher_nt

    aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

    Hi everyone- Just re-posting this as I saw some questions about teaching in Australia . Please don't ask me specific questions with registration from the UK with the conversion, as your better of asking people who have already done the process. I'm happy to answer any other questions. I currently work in the highest level remote (rural) category of schools (which means I live in the middle of nowhere!) and am a good source of info for this type of teaching.

    Pre-answering questions from working holiday makers is, literally just go fruit picking. Unless your going to stay for a decent chunk of time and are willing to work remote it's kind of useless and you'll find minimal to no work on the East coast in the main city centers. If you are willing to work remote it can be a good money earner as your looking at accom and flights (to the location) been paid for by the DET and at minimum about 11K AUD in the hand per term. Just be prepared for a massive culture shock... lol

    Re-post as follows----

    Ok, a run down from someone already in the system.

    1: Google maps Australia. See the east coast. Put your thumb over the east coast from Melbourne to Brisbane. That bit has 85% of the population. That bit will also have almost no jobs in teaching unless you are highly experienced, a specialist or possibly a High School maths/science teacher.

    2. See the rest of Australia, yeah that really big empty bit. That's were the work is.

    3. Ok now on google maps see those lines dividing up Australia into 8 bits (you need to include the island of Tasmania) if you are registered in one bit you can ONLY work in that one bit. You registered in Queensland and want to work in Sydney. Nope!!! Forget it. Time for a new registration....

    4. The TRB and DET (teacher reg and Dept Education) in each state has different rules and pay structures for all of those bits mentioned in step 3. Weirdly the TRB of each state seem to hate each other so if you've worked in QLD and want to go WA they may throw all sorts of rubbish at you to make the reg more difficult. Multiple state registration is possible but you'll have to pay for each state and supply documents to each state. Even among Aussie teachers the NSW TRB has an atrocious reputation so some of the other posts on this site about them do not surprise me.

    5. To register: Generally, you need the following. A 4 year teaching degree or a bachelor plus a grad dip or masters in TEACHING (not just education). Now the Grad Dip used to take one year but this is been fazed out so generally now it's a Masters and you are looking at 1.5 - 2 years full-time (in Australia). However this does not mean that for Registration you need to be 5 years of study.You just need the degree + the grad dip/masters. Note: for HS Teachers you will generally needed to have studied your teaching fields at uni. eg: A math teacher must have studied math to teach it.

    6. Work with children check. This is a police check and again for each bit of Aus has different requirements. Again a QLD work with children will not be usable in NSW. These checks generally last 2 years. By the sounds of it (on these forums) many people OS have NOT been able to do this online as the process must be done in Aus (although that's just what I read and it may change state by state).

    7. After registration: Yay, finally some good news. As long as step 6 is up to date you can just pay online to keep yourself registered. Note if your reg lapses then go back step 5 again and start the whole process from scratch. ie: do not do this.... lol!

    Getting a job

    Ok so we did all that how bout getting a job?

    Sure just stay away from the bit mentioned in the previous step 1 and your chances are actually pretty good. As like any job the hardest step is just to get in the door. So best ways are:

    1. Relief teaching: Get called in on the day, the DET may have you on a list and feel free to just pop in to schools to introduce yourself and get on their list (this is the best way). Good for travelers, parents for secondary income. Average pay $200-$300 AUD per day.

    2. Contract relief teaching: Can be in two forms. 1: A relief teacher for a specific school. Work times same as any other teacher (5 days a week). These teachers cover when people are sick and will take classes for set periods to give the class teacher some planning time. Usually minimal planning and assessment. Also usually for rural schools as the cities have a big pool of relief teachers. 2.Relief class teacher. Where the usual class teacher has left, is taking leave for an extended time, etc. Usually the best terms for this type of work is after the first term in Feb. 2nd semester (June/July) is usually very good as you can pick up work for a full semester (2 terms, 20+ weeks). For both types of relief it's good for singles/travelers with no commitments. Pay: same as a normal teacher of your experience for the contract period. Also about 1-6 weeks holiday pay depending on length of contract.

    3. Remote/Rural: So can you deal with living 700ks + away from the nearest coffee/pizza joint then go for it. This is the best place to start as there is still a critical shortage of teachers who are prepared to live beyond the black stump (middle of nowhere) to work. These communities (rather than towns) can range from 300 to 5,000+ depending where they are at. They fall broadly into 3 categories.

    A- Rural Centers: Large towns that service the surrounding areas. Will have a hospital, shopping center etc.

    B- Mining Towns: Basically mining families living in the middle of nowhere. Will have basic services depending on size. Lager ones 2-3000+ will have a supermarket, police and maybe a hospital.

    C- Indigenous Community: Aboriginal towns ranging from 200-1000+ towns. Services will be very basic depending on size. Small communities will just have a petrol station and a small corner shop. Some of these towns are the most remote places in Australia. Will generally have a small airstrip nearby. Some of these places can also be a major culture shock, even for many Aussies.

    People with families A and B are the best bet and since you are willing to go remote/rural permanency is easier to get and most DET's have a system if you do a certain number of years remote/rural you can get an automatic transfer back to the capital of that state. Also couples that are nurse/teacher, doctor/teacher or teacher/teacher will be highly sought after in the above areas.

    Most communities in the B and C categories (and some in the A) will include free accommodation and also free flights in and out. On longer contracts in some states you may receive 2-3 free flights in and out that can be used for your holidays.

    Visa advise

    My only advise is this. Do not mess with Aussie immigration. I personally know of some UK working holiday peoples who have been carted off to Detention centers and then booted out of Oz with a 5 year ban. Do not let this happen to you....
    the hippo and dumbbells66 like this.
  2. ejclibrarian

    ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

    aussie_teacher_nt likes this.
  3. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Some very helpful and practical advice. Good on ya, cobber!
    aussie_teacher_nt likes this.
  4. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    can someone now write a similar post on Canada, USA, and the Middle East please....then we will no longer have to repeat ourselves every week or so ;)

Share This Page