1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE or History Teaching?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Infamia101, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Hello All :)
    I'm currently working in admin as a PA and have done since I left college at AS Level. However after 6.5years and the realisation that the 9-5 isn't my forte, I've decided to do what I should have done years ago and undergo my degree in order to teach! My best and thoroughly enjoyed subjects were English, History and Religious Education and I would like to do a joint degree in History and R.E and go on to teach. I also have a hobby of reading on classical literature and mythology (I appreciate that it may not be in the History syllabus and is a separate subject in its own right).
    I was advised by a gentleman on the TDA Helpline that I should do a major in RE and a minor in History as History was a very popular subject. Is he right?
    I am intending to start my studies in February via the OU as I wish to save up and get some school experience before undergoing such a degree. I am also considering getting a job as a TA in a local school (I reside in Nottingham) to compliment my studies - either before or during my PGCE years.
    At this moment in time, I have not quite decided what age I wish to teach, however I am more drawn to secondary education (hopefully a shadow day/week in a school will confim this!).
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! :)

2. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

For your undergrad degree I would do whatever interests you the most. I currently teach RE but my degree is in ancient history so you don't need to be subject specific at this stage.

In a few years when you apply for PGCE, if the EBACC is the same as now then I would advise a history PGCE as RS is weakening due to it not being inlcuded.

3. Hi Helena
    Thanks for replying.

After speaking to my partner, my interests lie in History - classics and ancient. I like religious studies but not half as much as I enjoy History and English. Then there's the demand for languages. I excelled in French and use it in my current job.

However I understand that I shouldn't do something 'just because'. More to think about!

Again, thank you for replying.

4. Hi,
    The
    most important part of teaching is the enthusiasm you will have for your
    subject, and the way in which this enthusiasm is passed on to the children in
    your classes. For this reason I would highly recommend choosing a degree in the
    subject that interests you the most.

As
    far as the current popularity of subjects you have mentioned are concerned,
    Religious Education and Modern Languages are considered to be the most in
    demand, due to a need for more teachers of these subjects. For this reason
    there may be greater employment opportunities if you trained to teach one of
    these.

However,
    there are many changes happening in the current education structure, so there
    is no guarantee that the subjects currently regarded as priority areas of
    recruitment will continue to be so by the time your degree is completed.
    Therefore I would again emphasise that the current employment prospects related
    to particular subjects should be less of a consideration than studying a
    subject that you are passionate about. In the long run your interest in the
    subject you are teaching will be an important aspect of how successful you are
    in your teaching career.

You
    are doing the right thing in gaining classroom experience, as this will help
    you get a better understanding of what the subjects and age-ranges are
    currently like. I would also recommend looking into the National Curriculum, as
    this will help you to better understand the way in which the lessons for different
    subjects are structured, and might help you to determine which subject is more
    appealing to you:

http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/

Whichever
    subject you decide to do a degree in, I wish you the very best with your
    studies, and in your future teaching career.

Stephen
    Hillier, TDA