1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Re-Opening?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by jimm287, Mar 27, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Gove a dove?

You believe what Gove gas said?

Thanks for that.

2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Ah no but he is reported as being against early lifting of the lockdown.

In fact, as usual he has been very, very careful with his words, saying the report is not government policy BUT the fact is it could be and if he is voted down in the cabinet he can and will say 'I spoke the truth, it was not policy then and I voted against at every stage'

I tend to think what we are reading will be adjusted some but that the government is indeed thinking along those lines, not least the usual many stages, many exceptions nonsense.

May 11 seems a tad optimistic though.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The demands and pressure of parents on a forum or otherwise simply cannot come before life preservation.

It is a time for schools to ongoing adapt and change in their provision and possibly their role.

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Who would have thought that an undervalued and poorly respected professional workforce would be reluctant to accommodate a huge step-change in their practice :rolleyes:

5. danae_mb

danae_mb New commenter

I hope your schools do not reopen in the UK until September. I am working in France and we are due to return on May 11th, without knowing very much else. If I could give one piece of advice it would be to start thinking/planning about what classrooms and teaching will look like when you do open, what health and safety procedures will be put in place etc.

We are being requested to continue both virtual and physical teaching upon our return but there is no concrete plan about how this will work or what it will look like. Take advantage of the time you have now to start a discussion with your heads of school.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I was under the impression that unions in France, across all sectors, are balloting for strike action on this topic.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

For reference...

Our response to the latest round of press speculation regarding schools reopening

Once again we have seen intense media speculation that schools will reopen to more pupils after May half term. Like you, we are immensely frustrated to read these reports in the press. We have reiterated to government this week that any return must be led by evidence of when it is safe to do so, not convenient dates in the educationcalendar. Safe for children, safe for parents, safe for staff and safe for the wider community. This has to be the starting point.

The Prime Minister made it clear last week that the government is considering how it might begin to relax the lockdown, and part of this is assessing if it is possible to expand the number of pupils attending school. The government has sought to reassure the nation that these decisions will be led by scientific and medical advice.

We know that any return, including a phased return, needs to also consider the wide range of logistical and practical challenges that you shared with us through our survey earlier this week. We have discussed your feedback with the Department for Education.

What is very clear is that the government still has a lot of work to do in terms of building the confidence of not just the profession, but of parents too.

There is little point talking about expanding the number of pupils attending school if parents do not feel confident sending their children in. We have seen a poll today suggesting that fewer than one in five of the public believe that the conditions for schools “reopening” have been met.

These latest press reports would appear to suggest that the Prime Minister is looking at some form of return next month, but we should also remember that only a couple of days ago at the Education Select Committee, the Secretary of State for Education stated on the record that all schools returning on day one with a full complement of pupils would not be realistic. He also referred to a need to create “a safe environment for people to both work in and learn in as well.”

So, a date remains unclear. But we will continue to ensure that your voice is heard at the heart of government and in public debate as the government’s actual plans become clear.

Best wishes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul Whiteman
    NAHT general secretary

agathamorse likes this.